DVD RW and XP

barefooter

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2005
Built my first computer running Widows 2000Pro. Everthing worked perfectly. Decided to run XP Pro...All works fine except DVD RW...It is recognized in device manager, however, when load any type of DVD or Cd, drive spins, lights up and then nothing...Also when rebooting, I get error message says: "Service not started". Suggestions?

Thanks

AMD 64 3500
MSI K8N Neo4/SLI
300 Gig. Maxtor SATA
Plextor Cd-rw
Pioneer DVR 109
Windows XP Pro w/SP2

Have you already tried clearing the CMOS and resetting it?

Its more than likely not going to make any difference but I would try it just for the heck of it before beginning to diagnose your hardware.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 10/31/05 09:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Also when rebooting, I get error message says: "Service not started". Suggestions?

Did it say what service had failed to start?, it sounds like something from the software installation is missing or corrupted, that could be due to a number of factors, memory failure, faulty CDROM reading files and transferring corrupted DATA, scratched or dirty Installation CD, HDD writing error, Etc.

I would begin by testing the hardware and eliminate the possibility of defective hardware, you can find some of the diagnostic programs like Memtest86 <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm" target="_new"> here. </A>