Finding the RAM utilization on Windows XP

Hi,

I installed Norton Internest Security 2005 a couple weeks ago. Since then
my computer has been really slow when it boots up, open new programs,
receiving mail, and have mulitple programs running. Sometimes when I have
multiple programs running it will freeze up. I thought I might need more RAM
I have 256 MB (Sony VAIO). I tried to search the "Help and Support" on the
computer but I didn't really find what I was looking for.........

Thank you to anyone who can help :)
--
Mollie
3 answers Last reply

    Your "slowdown" is caused by Norton Internet Security !!! It checks and does
    a lot of things, so you are protected.....drawback = SLOW !!!

    Cheers,

    Tom

    "Newy_new" <Newynew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed Norton Internest Security 2005 a couple weeks ago. Since then
    > my computer has been really slow when it boots up, open new programs,
    > receiving mail, and have mulitple programs running. Sometimes when I have
    > multiple programs running it will freeze up. I thought I might need more
    > RAM
    > I have 256 MB (Sony VAIO). I tried to search the "Help and Support" on
    > the
    > computer but I didn't really find what I was looking for.........
    >
    > Thank you to anyone who can help :)
    > --
    > Mollie

    As Tom is correct, a system currently running 256MB RAM is considered too
    slow. In your case doubling or tripling the ram size with show significant
    inprovement. If that is not an option, minimize the number of programs that
    load on boot. This can be done by going to Start >> Run >> msconfig
    *Caution* changing the wrong setting in here can make life worse. If you
    don't know how to get more RAM, Reply and I'll see if I can help.

    "JCE" wrote:

    > Your "slowdown" is caused by Norton Internet Security !!! It checks and does
    > a lot of things, so you are protected.....drawback = SLOW !!!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > "Newy_new" <Newynew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I installed Norton Internest Security 2005 a couple weeks ago. Since then
    > > my computer has been really slow when it boots up, open new programs,
    > > receiving mail, and have mulitple programs running. Sometimes when I have
    > > multiple programs running it will freeze up. I thought I might need more
    > > RAM
    > > I have 256 MB (Sony VAIO). I tried to search the "Help and Support" on
    > > the
    > > computer but I didn't really find what I was looking for.........
    > >
    > > Thank you to anyone who can help :)
    > > --
    > > Mollie

    In news:367FF4B1-767E-47BC-90C8-D7547CB221B8@microsoft.com,
    Keith Davis-IT Analyst
    <KeithDavisITAnalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > As Tom is correct, a system currently running 256MB RAM is
    > considered
    > too slow. In your case doubling or tripling the ram size with
    > show
    > significant inprovement.

    Maybe, maybe not.
    How much memory you need depends on what apps you run, but almost
    everyone needs at least 256MB for decent performance. For many
    people 256MB is fine. For some people, for example those who edit
    large photographic images, more than 256MB--even much more--can
    be required for good performance.

    If you are currently using the page file significantly, more
    memory will decrease or eliminate that usage, and improve your
    performance. If you are not using the page file significantly,
    more memory will do nothing for you.

    Go to http://billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/winxp%5Ftweaks/ and
    download WinXP-2K_Pagefile.zip and monitor your pagefile usage.
    That should give you a good idea of whether more memory can help,
    and if so, how much more.

    > If that is not an option, minimize the
    > number of programs that load on boot.

    The *number* of programs that start automatically is irrelevant.
    What's significant is *which* programs they are. Some of these
    can have a significant cost in performance; others may have
    almost no cost at all.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > This can be done by going to
    > Start >> Run >> msconfig *Caution* changing the wrong setting
    > in here
    > can make life worse. If you don't know how to get more RAM,
    > and I'll see if I can help.
    >
    > "JCE" wrote:
    >
    >> Your "slowdown" is caused by Norton Internet Security !!! It
    >> checks
    >> and does a lot of things, so you are protected.....drawback =
    >> SLOW
    >> !!!
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    >> "Newy_new" <Newynew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I installed Norton Internest Security 2005 a couple weeks
    >>> ago.
    >>> Since then my computer has been really slow when it boots up,
    >>> open
    >>> new programs, receiving mail, and have mulitple programs
    >>> running.
    >>> Sometimes when I have multiple programs running it will
    >>> freeze up.
    >>> I thought I might need more RAM
    >>> I have 256 MB (Sony VAIO). I tried to search the "Help and
    >>> Support" on the
    >>> computer but I didn't really find what I was looking
    >>>
    >>> Thank you to anyone who can help :)
    >>> --
    >>> Mollie

Windows XP