Finding the RAM utilization on Windows XP

August 2, 2005 2:49:01 PM

Hi,

I installed Norton Internest Security 2005 a couple weeks ago. Since then
my computer has been really slow when it boots up, open new programs,
receiving mail, and have mulitple programs running. Sometimes when I have
multiple programs running it will freeze up. I thought I might need more RAM
I have 256 MB (Sony VAIO). I tried to search the "Help and Support" on the
computer but I didn't really find what I was looking for.........

Thank you to anyone who can help :)
--
Mollie
Anonymous

Your "slowdown" is caused by Norton Internet Security !!! It checks and does
a lot of things, so you are protected.....drawback = SLOW !!!

Cheers,

Tom

"Newy_new" <Newynew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I installed Norton Internest Security 2005 a couple weeks ago. Since then
> my computer has been really slow when it boots up, open new programs,
> receiving mail, and have mulitple programs running. Sometimes when I have
> multiple programs running it will freeze up. I thought I might need more
> RAM
> I have 256 MB (Sony VAIO). I tried to search the "Help and Support" on
> the
> computer but I didn't really find what I was looking for.........
>
> Thank you to anyone who can help :)
> --
> Mollie
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:06:06 PM

As Tom is correct, a system currently running 256MB RAM is considered too
slow. In your case doubling or tripling the ram size with show significant
inprovement. If that is not an option, minimize the number of programs that
load on boot. This can be done by going to Start >> Run >> msconfig
*Caution* changing the wrong setting in here can make life worse. If you
don't know how to get more RAM, Reply and I'll see if I can help.

"JCE" wrote:

> Your "slowdown" is caused by Norton Internet Security !!! It checks and does
> a lot of things, so you are protected.....drawback = SLOW !!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom
>

> "Newy_new" <Newynew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed Norton Internest Security 2005 a couple weeks ago. Since then
> > my computer has been really slow when it boots up, open new programs,
> > receiving mail, and have mulitple programs running. Sometimes when I have
> > multiple programs running it will freeze up. I thought I might need more
> > RAM
> > I have 256 MB (Sony VAIO). I tried to search the "Help and Support" on
> > the
> > computer but I didn't really find what I was looking for.........
> >
> > Thank you to anyone who can help :)
> > --
> > Mollie

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:22:22 PM

In news:367FF4B1-767E-47BC-90C8-D7547CB221B8@microsoft.com,
Keith Davis-IT Analyst
<KeithDavisITAnalyst@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> As Tom is correct, a system currently running 256MB RAM is
> considered
> too slow. In your case doubling or tripling the ram size with
> show
> significant inprovement.

Maybe, maybe not.
How much memory you need depends on what apps you run, but almost
everyone needs at least 256MB for decent performance. For many
people 256MB is fine. For some people, for example those who edit
large photographic images, more than 256MB--even much more--can
be required for good performance.

If you are currently using the page file significantly, more
memory will decrease or eliminate that usage, and improve your
performance. If you are not using the page file significantly,
more memory will do nothing for you.

Go to http://billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/winxp%5Ftweaks/ and
download WinXP-2K_Pagefile.zip and monitor your pagefile usage.
That should give you a good idea of whether more memory can help,
and if so, how much more.

> If that is not an option, minimize the
> number of programs that load on boot.

The *number* of programs that start automatically is irrelevant.
What's significant is *which* programs they are. Some of these
can have a significant cost in performance; others may have
almost no cost at all.

Please reply to the newsgroup

!