Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

probably noobish but...

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Performance
Last response: in Memory
November 1, 2005 4:52:03 PM

looking at some different memory modules (my current ones and some i may purchase) I've found that some use 32x8 chips while others use 64x8. Just wondering if someone can tell me what this determines as far as performance if anything or if it is simply related to the total memory on the module. My current modules are a 2x512 pair and I was looking at some modules that are 1 gig each to give me 2 gig total dual channel.

More about : noobish

November 1, 2005 4:56:05 PM

Talks about that in the FAQ - first post.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!
November 9, 2005 11:34:22 AM

Really no noticible difference in performance between the two chips.

A 64Mx8 chip holds more data, and theoretically data travels faster once inside an IC because the connections have a higher degree of integrity. With this said using higher density chips should be faster. Unless used in any volume together, the difference is negligible.

Also, how the chips are used can affect the performance of the module in a particular system. Comparing a 512MB module built using 64Mx8 with the same module built using 32Mx8 chips, the difference is the number of chips used; 8x 32Mx8 chips or 16x 64Mx8 chips. A 16-chip module usually has two memory banks, whereas a module with only 8 chips has one memory bank. This can affect memory performance.

Normally, double-sided modules have better performance on motherboards, but it's not always the case.

hope this helps.