CPU Useage

MrB

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

I have an Inspiron 9300 which I am really enjoying. I have noticed that with
nothing open, the CPU spikes to 30% plus every few seconds. The user of the
CPU seems to be PCMService.exe. Anyone know what this does? Is it necessary?

Thanks

"MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have an Inspiron 9300 which I am really enjoying. I have noticed that
>with
> nothing open, the CPU spikes to 30% plus every few seconds. The user of
> the
> CPU seems to be PCMService.exe. Anyone know what this does? Is it
> necessary?
>
> Thanks

Google is your friend. First hit on PCMService.exe

PCMService - PCMService.exe - Process Information
Process File: PCMService or PCMService.exe
Process Name: Dell media experienc

PCMService.exe is a part of the Dell media experience software. This is a
multimedia product, and program is non-essential process to the running of
the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing
problems.
For More Information About PCMService.exe - Get WinTasks 5 Pro Now!

Author: Dell
Part Of: Dell media experienc

System Process: No
Background Process: No
Uses Network: No
Hardware Related: No
Common Errors: N/A
Memory Usage: N/A ( Free Up Memory )

begin 666 count.php_key=load
M1TE&.#=A`0`!`/<``````/______________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
M____________________________________________________________
A_____________________RP``````0`!```(`P`#```[
`
end

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message

> "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
>>I have an Inspiron 9300 which I am really enjoying. I have noticed that
>>with nothing open, the CPU spikes to 30% plus every few seconds. The user
>>of the CPU seems to be PCMService.exe. Anyone know what this does? Is it
>>necessary?
>>
>> Thanks

oops :)

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/

MrB

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
>>>I have an Inspiron 9300 which I am really enjoying. I have noticed that
>>>with nothing open, the CPU spikes to 30% plus every few seconds. The user
>>>of the CPU seems to be PCMService.exe. Anyone know what this does? Is it
>>>necessary?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>
> oops :)
>
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/

HBB,
Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to buy
the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had already
done it and could spare me the pain.

>HBB,
>Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to buy
>the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
>stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
>suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had already
>done it and could spare me the pain.

There is a website or 2 that explains all teh services available and
wheat they do....along with suggestions regarding whether they're
needed.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services and

They allowed me to make informed decisions with low risk.

Knowledge is power.

Regards,

> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
>> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message

>> oops :)
>>
>> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/
>>
>> --
>>

> HBB,
> Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to
> buy the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
> stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
> suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had
> already done it and could spare me the pain.

I stopped it by uninstalling the Dell Media Experience from my 9300. Don't
need/want it, as I am running XP Media Center.

Tom

"MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message

> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
>> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message

>> oops :)
>>
>> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/
>>
>> --
>>

> HBB,
> Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to
> buy the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
> stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
> suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had
> already done it and could spare me the pain.

Sorry. I assumed (yeah I know :) that you did not know what process the
service represented and would know what it was once you did.

Here's a better description of the "Dell Media Experience" software than
anything I found at the dell site(s)

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/dell_media_experience.asp

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

MrB

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

HBB,
Thanks for that link. It has the info I was looking for.

> "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message

>>> oops :)
>>>
>>> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> HBB,
>> Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to
>> buy the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
>> stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
>> suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had
>> already done it and could spare me the pain.
>
> Sorry. I assumed (yeah I know :) that you did not know what process the
> service represented and would know what it was once you did.
>

> Here's a better description of the "Dell Media Experience" software than
> anything I found at the dell site(s)
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/dell_media_experience.asp

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

How does one check the CPU Usage?
Charlie

>"MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote:

>HBB,
>Thanks for that link. It has the info I was looking for.
Charliec

PeterD

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 02:15:23 GMT, Charliec
<charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote:

>How does one check the CPU Usage?
>Charlie
>
>>"MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>HBB,
>>Thanks for that link. It has the info I was looking for.
>Charliec

Right click tray, or Ctrl-alt-del, click on Task Manager, click on
Performance tab, or on Processes tab.

If you need more information use the Performance tool, and select
whatever parameters you wish to monitor (there are hundreds).