I got my laptop in the summer of 2009, before my freshman year. And just recently is wont take a charge. The computer knows that its plugged in, but its not charging. But if I continuously plug and unplug it, it will charge for a few seconds. I'm at a stagnant 66% percent power.
What is going on?
Over the last two years have you left it plugged into an outlet most of the time you have been running it? Or letting it run overnight even on sleep mode while plugged in without fully discharging the battery?
When you do those things your battery loses the chemical throughput it once had. In the future with your new battery, make sure you fully discharge the battery and recharge it once a month to keep the juices flowing. If you do so, you'll extend you battery at least 3 years
Actually, I have the same problem, so I got a new battery, and it appears that the charging circuit in the HP has gone toes up.
Judging from a sample size of 4, where two others have the same problem, there could be some kind of limited life in HP's design.
I have the bad charging circuit issue, found out after I purchased a new battery and had the same (battery not charging issue) i had before. It dies instantly if you unplug it from AC power, with or without a battery. I took the entire thing apart and checked for loose connections and put it back together and had the same issue. Is there a fix short of replacing the motherboard or getting a new computer?