DVD players that play media files on CD-R

estreeter

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I have a lot of wmv, avi, and mpeg files on my computer that I'd like to play on a DVD player. I don't have a DVD burner (only CD). Are there any inexpensive DVD players that will play these file types on a CD?

There are dvd player which support the playback of wmv, mp4 and divx avi. However, as you said that you have a lot of videos, using cd will be a headache because it is slow and also it will not be cost effective because of the large amount of cd you need to buy. I am not sure if you can get one in your location, but I used to use a cheap maya dvd-405 player (about $45 AUD) back then with external usb HDD (not included).

The 500GB external HDD I got back then was formated to fat32 (the dvd player cannot support NTFS), plug HDD to the dvd player via usb and plug the video out of the player to the TV. As long as an individual video is not larger then 4GB, there is no problem (didn't run into that problem since full sd movie is about 700MB).

The dvd player lasted about 2 years then die and I decided to convert an old computer to a HTPC, the HDD is reused in the build. Can't complaint cos the player was so cheap.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
you cant get a cheap DVD burner for less than the DVD player?

something is wrong with that picture.
try some computer shop that claims to fix computers, if they sell some hardware - they might have a burner there for cheap.
ebay has used stuff (and some new stuff) for cheap.

no reason you should be trying to force a super video CD when you could simply put it on a dvd.

and if you burn the disc right the first time, it will play back in any dvd player.
it is only when you leave the movie in some stupid format - that is when you cant play the movie on any dvd player.