Crucial Ballistix: PC4000 Vs PC3200

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
<b>**Don't worry**... Decided to re-post in the mobo/chipsets forum instead, as I need a swifter response so I can send this stuff off... </b>

Just a question... I'm 90% sure of this anyway, but hey.

I've got 2 sticks of 512Mb Crucial Ballistix PC4000 ram. One is faulty (lots of memtest errors), and I've got an RMA number from the site so I'll be sending it back.

Problem is, the site no longer stocks these exact sticks, but they <i>do</i> stock the Ballistix PC3200 CL2 Modules. I'm sure I've read that these are actually the same chips, just the PC4000 has an extra entry in the SPD table with looser timings for 250Mhz - 2.5-4-4-10 instead of the 2-3-3-8 of the PC3200 ones (this is borne out by my remaining one stick of PC4000)

Anyone know if this is the case? I'm pretty sure as it is. Obviously I'll be voiding the warranty this time around though.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 11/04/05 12:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I answered this in the wrong forum, you're correct.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>