Sign in with
Your question

Reverting Back to XP Home

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 24, 2009 2:23:21 PM

I recently purchased a new laptop with Win-7 only to find that the processor will not support VT, XP-Mode. I have legacy software that will not install or run on a 64-bit system. Can I scrap the Win-7 and install Win-XP without hardware problems such as Wi-Fi & etc?

More about : reverting back home

a b D Laptop
November 24, 2009 11:57:29 PM

What brand/model of laptop are we talking about? Chances are if it is a brand new laptop, there probably aren't any or very few XP drivers available. You'll be stuck with a paper weight for the most part. Your best bet may be to try and return it and spend a bit more on a laptop with a CPU with VT. Less of a headache.
December 5, 2009 7:58:39 PM

I did just that and was able to get some old software working. However, one software will not open because of the resolution of the XP Mode desktop. The software asks for a resolution of 1024x768 or more. When attempting to change the resolution of the XP Mode, I find it is locked on 1072x604. It indicates that the display is "default monitor on". Any thought s on how to handle this?
December 12, 2009 11:10:08 AM

buwish said:
What brand/model of laptop are we talking about? Chances are if it is a brand new laptop, there probably aren't any or very few XP drivers available. You'll be stuck with a paper weight for the most part. Your best bet may be to try and return it and spend a bit more on a laptop with a CPU with VT. Less of a headache.

I did just that and was able to get some old software working. However, one software will not open because of the resolution of the XP Mode desktop. The software asks for a resolution of 1024x768 or more. When attempting to change the resolution of the XP Mode, I find it is locked on 1072x604. It indicates that the display is "default monitor on". Any thought s on how to handle this?

!