Gateway performance 1300 power on problem

DavidinKY

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I recently put in a new power supply in my gateway performance 1300 and it fixed my startup problem of the light staying yellow. I decided to replace the original 128 of memory (it was 2 64 sticks) with 1024 (4 sticks of 256). Now when I try to power up I get a green light but 3 beeps and screen stays blank. CD will still eject even with dark screen. The power supply I put in that worked ok had a bit more capacity than original.
Any suggestions what the 3 beeps and dark screen mean?

Solution
Quote: "Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard."

Source: http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
Quote: "Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard."

Source: http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Solution

DavidinKY

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I tried some other memory sticks with same results (3 beeps) and have since ordered a motherboard and will try again. Thank you for the response - you appear to be right on.

DavidinKY

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I have put in a new motherboard and everything works now including the added memory. Apparently I did not use good antistatic practice the first time and made sure I over did 2nd time. Thanks for responses to my question. David