Gateway 500x

Joe

I have a Gateway 500x system. It runs a Pentium 4 (478) processor. The
system is 4 years old and has a 1.7GHZ system. Will this system run the
fastest available 478 processor or is there a limit? I need to buy a new
one.

I'm fairly certain that the motherboard is limited to P4 or Celeron CPUs with
400MHz front side bus. If the memory is older PC133 SDRAM, then 400MHz FSB is
the limiting factor.

The fastest 400MHz FSB processors are in the 2.2GHz range for Pentium 4 and 2.6
or 2.7 (maybe 2.8?) GHz for Celerons.

Make sure that the motherboard BIOS is up to date. Check the Intel web site for
processors supported by your Intel-made motherboard. CAREFULLY check the specs
of processors BEFORE you buy. You may have to replace the heat sink / cooling
fan to provide effective cooling for a faster processor.

Given the prices of processors today, and depending on how you use your system,
a memory upgrade may provide more bang for the buck than a processor upgrade.

.... Ben Myers