Inspiron 8100 Dual Display operation

I've had my 8100 nigh until 3 years now, it is well worn and beloved,
but lately, I've tried to set up dual output mode. I need the
real-estate badly. The main panel is 1600x1200. I need one simple
question answered - is it possible to run the second output at some
other resolution, say 1280x1024?

The answer drives all of my shopping needs :).

Thanks,

chg (currently lusting over the 9100 or that other scream game
machine)
1 answer Last reply
More about inspiron 8100 dual display operation

    cgilley@bravesw.com (Charles Gilley) wrote in message news:<de3cdf0.0404041247.6856b96d@posting.google.com>...
    > I've had my 8100 nigh until 3 years now, it is well worn and beloved,
    > but lately, I've tried to set up dual output mode. I need the
    > real-estate badly. The main panel is 1600x1200. I need one simple
    > question answered - is it possible to run the second output at some
    > other resolution, say 1280x1024?
    >
    > The answer drives all of my shopping needs :).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > chg (currently lusting over the 9100 or that other scream game
    > machine)

    I'll answer my own question, since I tracked down a co-worker with a
    similar setup.... the dual mode works fine with mixed resolutions,
    though he did indicate that the laptop/external display combination
    works better if they are close/same in resolution.

    The trick for things to work correctly is to actually have another
    monitor connected. Otherwise, you never see the extra display setup.

    chg

Dell Inspiron Computers Displays