MN-510 installs and connects, but no traffic

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

XP Home, no updates or service packs

MN-510 USB adapter, installs correctly and connects to Microsoft
Wireless Base Station. DHCP from base station apparently works fine,
as I get an IP address, routing tables update (base station as
gateway), DNS (base station as DNS server) etc.

Then I can't ping base station: timeout. Can't see other computers
on the workgroup.

A laptop with a MN-520 connected to the same base station works fine.
The routing table entries, etc., are the same.

I'm digging around to see what the problem might be, and any help
(links, discussion, etc.) is greatly appreciated.

--
Don't believe anything unless you have thought it through for
yourself. (Anna Pell Wheeler, 1883-1966)

The Ping thing looks odd. Did you use the 192.168.2.1 IP?
Do you have any MAC filtering enabled on the router?

Typically, the workgroup issue is due to a software
firewall or ICF -- but if you can't ping the router, you
shouldn't be able to browse the network anyway.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote...
> The Ping thing looks odd. Did you use the 192.168.2.1 IP?
> Do you have any MAC filtering enabled on the router?
>
> Typically, the workgroup issue is due to a software
> firewall or ICF -- but if you can't ping the router, you
> shouldn't be able to browse the network anyway.

Yep, the Base Station is 192.168.2.1. I show receipt of 3 packets
when I double-click the system tray icon for the connection, which
I'd guess is the DHCP lease and DNS information.

Seemingly, the problem is I just can't transmit any packets from that
PC. AIS, I checked for filtering on the XP machine and it appears to
be completely disabled.

There is inbound packet filtering on a 3Com cable modem, but that's
upstream of the base station and shouldn't be a factor here.

<PC><USB><MN-510> )))))))) <MS BASE STATION> -------- <3COM CM>

I'm going to update the USB driver, but after that I'm out of ideas.