Sign in with
Your question

Want to build a PC

Last response: in CPUs
December 25, 2002 4:24:50 PM

After reading this board for a while, I am pumped to build my own PC (have Dell PC now and was going to buy another of those before reading this board). Since I am a novice at doing so, I need some help. My budget is about $2000 (including a flat panel monitor of at least 18" size), but will spend more if needed.

Firstly, are there any technologies coming in 1st quarter of 2003 that I should wait for? Any chipsets, motherboards, higher speed RAM, hard drives, ports, etc. that will make my PC obselete quickly if I don't wait for them?

I read a little about the Gigabyte motherboard that many are clamouring for. What is the deal with that one?

My needs aren't too intensive. I will use this PC to telecommute using a cable modem, surf the net and do some video editing of camcorder footage. I may even want to use this as backup TV when my wife needs to hog the TV for something I don't want to watch. When I say backup TV, I mean using it for Cable & Satellite TV and watching DVDs. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

More about : build

a c 159 à CPUs
December 25, 2002 5:42:00 PM

If you're in no hurry, I would wait for the Intel springdale chipset boards that support 800 megahurtz p4's (200 fsb quad pumped), or you may prefer the amd opterons, the desktop version of the amd 64 server cpus. Right now the Intel granite bay boards are starting to appear, but they're very pricey ($215-300+) and the performance has been a little disappointing. The opteron may not appear until the 2nd quarter. I'm waiting for sis 655 (similar to granite bay) to see how the price/performance compares. They should be available in a month or so.
December 25, 2002 6:02:24 PM

I have just built an XP+SIS based PC for a friend of mine for 500 bucks, and it runs for all 2000+ bucks rock solid. There is no much of a difference between 2000 bucks PC and 500 one I have to say. $100 CPUs these dayz are way more than anything in $700 range 1+ year ago, so I don't know what CPU you have in yer Dell, but I would just get something cheap as far as CPU and mobo goes and upgrade them as something comez out in 6+ months if there will be a need, that way you wont miss out playing the best you can right now.

Just a thought.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
December 25, 2002 6:12:14 PM

Why not go for Dell. I only buy Dell unless they can't build what I want. Their systems are incredible cheap and their support is one of the best around. I know its not perfect but better than thier competitors. The reason I mention Dell is also because of the movie studio you can get with the system which is in my expirience very good.
You can say what you want about Dell but I always get suprised when seing how good they are.
December 27, 2002 11:27:53 PM

I can buy Dell but reading this community made me think of building one. I believe I can do this cheaper building myself.
December 27, 2002 11:37:51 PM

<<I would wait for the Intel springdale chipset boards that support 800 megahurtz p4's (200 fsb quad pumped)>>

When are these due? I am in no hurry. I can wait. I read up on the Gigabyte 8INXP motherboard. Is this one with granite bay chipset? I am thinking of sticking with Intel and not venture into AMD territory at this time. Thanks.
December 28, 2002 5:16:08 AM

how much money are you spending?
AMD is best bang for your buck till you get to 2400 territory.

and do not under any circumstances buy a dell. their mobos have no overclocking options at all. and alot slower for same amount of money
December 28, 2002 5:28:20 AM

There are definitely some exciting things in store for Intel. Your budget means you won't have trouble buying a good system. Waiting seems like the best thing, since the granite bay isn't that big of a jump over it's predecessor. If the next Intel chipset supports hyperthreading, a 200 MHz fsb (800 quad), and 200 MHz DDR RAM w/ dual channel I would wait.

But there is always something better around the corner.

Tough choice you have. It is much easier when you have a piece of junk that needs replacement quickly. :smile:

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
December 28, 2002 8:30:16 AM

For around $2000 here is what I would get:

Pentium 4 2.4B
Gigabyte 8INXP motherboard
512 MB Dual Channel DDR main RAM
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 with 128 mb graphics RAM
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Enermax Power Supply
Antec Case
Logitech keyboard & cordless optical mouse
HP 960C Inkjet printer
Canon LIDE series scanner
NEC 19" FE950+ CRT monitor
Liteon 48x24x48 CDRW
Toshiba 16 DVD
Maxtor Ultra Series 80 GB hard drive with 8 MB cache
December 28, 2002 2:32:02 PM

Que? I have three AMD systems and one Intel system. My most recent system is an XP2700+, A7N8X Deluxe, 512 MB Corsair 3200 DDR RAM CAS2.

Quote:
I am thinking of sticking with Intel and not venture into AMD territory at this time

I only discussed Intel because he only expressed interest in Intel. If he can wait there are some good things comming down the Intel pipeline. I thought that if he can wait it would be better. AMD will probably be right there with Intel. Maybe ahead. I don't know. I didn't think it appropriate to try to convince him of anything else.

Intel... AMD. What do I care. Neither system is wrong. But, if he builds his first computer and I convinced him to go AMD and he had a problem then he would be upset with me. Was that a runon sentence? LOL.

Oh well didn't mean to offend zabomb4163.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
December 28, 2002 6:28:53 PM

i just ordered my stuff...

xp2800+
Lian Li Pc case pc60 (first one.. they look so awesome)
Asus nForce2
1 GB of pc3200 cas2 Corsair XMS
431 enermax psu
one 60gb maxtor hd
one 120gb maxtor hd'
Lite-On 52X cd-rw
Sony DvD-rw
Ati All-in-Wonder 9700pro
Xp Professional
Microsoft optical mouse
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
*only thing i don't have is what HSF i will use..
im looking into the Coolermaster HHC-001 but it's a bit pricey.

gonna cost me around 1850... maybe alittle more

This Community is like a Second Family!!
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2002 12:21:48 AM

And this forum has no use for your kind either.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2002 12:28:50 AM

Here's the skinny:
Intel just released the Granit Bay, the predecessor of the Springdale chipset. The Sprindale will support future "800 bus" processors, aka the Prescott core P4, while the Granit Bay won't.
SiS released the 655 chipset. Like the Granit Bay, it support dual channel DDR. But because they were caught off-guard with Intel's decision to support Hyper Threading on 3.06GHz+ P4's, they've come up with a Revision of the 655 to support that technology. Board makers for the most part decided to wait for this revision before producing boards. It's probably already been finalized, so it should be a short wait for the HT supporting 655 chipsets to arrive. And they *should* outperform the Granit Bay, for less money.
In about 3 months Intel should release the Springdale chipset. About the same time, SiS will be releasing a Second Revision of the 655 to support the higher bus speed of the Prescott. By then, HT P4's should be down in price, with the 3.06 selling for about as much as the 2.4 does now.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 29, 2002 10:51:24 AM

hey paulJ, How is your System running? is that thing fast?

what HSF did you go with for the 2700+?

This Community is like a Second Family!!
January 23, 2003 10:02:38 PM

Any update on when Intel might release Springdale chipset i865PE 800MHz FSB & Dual Channel DDR400? Does it also mean that we won't be using RDRAM? I am dying to start building. Thanks.
January 23, 2003 10:30:21 PM

hold off on the 18" LCD, wait a lil more cause u're gonna want something w/ 16ms response time, 160º viewing angles (at least) not too high brightness yet high contrast. All this stuff is just around the corner, with companies showing off their products...
Also, why must it be lcd..it's not necissarily better for ur eyes.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 01/23/03 07:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2003 11:07:11 PM

No updates yet, but it will be a while.

February 1, 2003 5:41:59 PM

Read a review of the 800 MHZ Springdale with DDR400 on this web site and am wondering how true the review's data might be and whether it is worth waiting for this, considering the miniscule performance gain.

http://inquirerinside.com/?article=6765
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2003 12:27:37 AM

If you still need a system built you could hire me to do it, I'm the best there is, or at least in the "best club". I'm also looking for work and could use the money.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
!