Braddock

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
I have had the hardest time getting my new XP2100+ PC working. I bought an XP2100+ chip w/ a Volcano 7, a Gigabyte MB, 512 MB PC2100, 350W PS, MSI CD RW, GEForce 3 64M and a 80Gig HD. When I assembled the PC everything powered on fine and I started to install Win 2K. After multiple install attempts and various blue screens I ended up trying to install XP. XP installed however most of the apps and games I installed would either freeze, lock up, or give different blue screens. After reading everything I could from the Microsoft web site on the myrid of error messages, I replaced the processor, motherboard (now a Shuttle), memory (still PC2100 but from my other Athlon PC = 1900+, Harddrive (now a 10Gig Maxtor), a generic CDROM, and video card (now a GEForce 4 Ti4200). I was able to install windows 2K without any blue screens but I am still experiencing crashes, lockups and reboots. The only thing I have not replaced is the power supply & case. With everything I replaced, this is practically a new PC. Also during all these crashes while installing games and other apps my CDROM (the MSI and the generic CD) cannot read installation files.

When I place the memory, video card, either harddrive or CDROM in the XP1900+ PC (it has an epoX MB) everything works fine. Apps install correctly with no errors.

Has anybody ever exerienced anything like this???? I have updated the bios, the chipset drivers, Nvidia drives, all the windows service packs, etc. Also, the processor runs at about 53 deg C.

Thanks

14Dx

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
How many watts/how old is the PSU? That could be the source of your problems. For a system like yours I think AMD recomends at least 300 watts.

Braddock

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
The 1900 runs at between 51-52C. The power supply is 350W.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Braddock on 12/26/02 08:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Braddock

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
****Update*****

I made some progress on my 2100 problems. I ended up buying a new power supply (Coolmax Taurus 450W CT-450EE) and a new Volcano 9 (this is a monster fan!!). My CPU temp dropped from 53C to 44C. The first thing I noticed is the random reboots stopped. XP installed just fine and none of my apps lock up anymore.

Once in a while a blue screen pops up but at least I can run apps and use the PC (I am still a bit troubled by this but things have improved 100%)

I guess that AMDs really require a bit of "tweaking" to get up and running. Any thoughts on this?????

Thanks

Your new power supply was a good investment. Amd cpus will run fine with the right equipment. A good mobo and ps are the most important components of any system. My p4 wouldn't overclock until I upgraded my ps to 350 watts. The cheaper brands run hotter and noisier, and are generally lighter in weight.