Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Print Spooler stops every 2 minutes

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2012 11:33:09 AM

I have a client who has an issue whereby her Print Spooler on her Windows 7 PC stops after 2 minutes. I have set the service to restart on all subsequent failures, but it still drops out after 2 minutes, restarts after 1 minute, then crashes again after a further 2 minutes. Rinse and repeat.

I have updated all printer drivers, and run Windows update.

I have scanned for viruses

I have run SFC which came up clean.

I have tried deleting all the files from within %windir%\windows\system32\spool\printers

I have deleted all extra providers from within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\PRINT\

I have taken ownership of spoolsv.exe

In Turn windows features on or off I have tried unticking Internet Printing Client, ticking LPD Print Service and ticking LPR Port Monitor

This issue has persisted through multiple restarts over the course of a week. I'm hesitant about using a registry cleaner but if it comes down to it, I could potentially be persuaded if nothing else works.
October 10, 2012 1:24:22 PM

Back up Files and re-image. trouble shooting is so much easier in an enterprise.
a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2012 2:42:26 PM

Is the printer connected thru USB? If so, disconnect the printer and see if the print spooler service stays running. In Windows, Open the printer and cancel any print jobs. Reconnect the printer and see if you can print something simple from Notepad. I've seen .pdf documents cause this problem with an HP 1020 printer.
a b $ Windows 7
October 11, 2012 8:15:15 AM

turns out it was a corrupt driver that HP are serving on their website. I reinstalled with a fresh download and had the same problem, so chose a different driver and that one worked.
!