question st:::tng cannon

Hi All,

I am having two problems with a STTNG cannon. (Of course.)

As an aside the game has L-7 Firmware installed.

The left cannon gives the most trouble. I have replaced the harness,
and have checked the opto switch in test mode. In fact I have been
yanking wires all over the place during switch test to try to get the
opto to chance state. It works perfectly.

During a game, however, when a ball goes into the left cannon, the
light starts flashing. The coil will fire with the gun trigger, and the
ball edjects nicely. The plunger does not stick out, but the "photon
torpedo" nose does not play. The light stops flashing for about a
second, and then startes up again. There is no ball in the cannon at
this time, but if you pull the trigger the coil will fire again. The
light will stop flashing for about a second, and then starts back up.
It will do this sequence for a variable number of times.

I know that the switch test cannot replicate all aspects of the game
with the motor turning, but I thought by pulling and moving on the
wires I could get any short to present itself. Is there something I am
missing?

The second problem that the game has is not limited to the left cannon.
During the probe sequence, one can fire the probe from either cannon,
and then for the right cannon at least one hears the "photon torpedo"
noise and the probe is registered if the correct lane is made, but then
about two seconds later the game anounces to "launch a probe" and the
same cannon light starts flashing again (no ball is loaded into the
cannon this second time). This time the probe always "finds nothing",
even if the correct lane is made via a flipper shot.

Any ideas? I have checked switches and tuggen on wires until I am blue
in the face. I do not understand what the game is doing.

Steve

it's possible that the wire loom for the cannon is broken. Have you
replaced that yet? It's not enough to tug on it, it's something that
might only happen when it's moving. I'd look at that first.