Athlon 1700+ core voltage reads 1.82V!!

NandoBMS

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I have a K7VTA Pro Mobo and with my 1700+ Athlon, the BIOS displays 1.82V for the automatically detected core voltage. Is this correct? THe system is locking, i think because of CPU overheat. The BIOS shuldnt display 1.75 V for this processor? What is wrong, the voltage selected or the BIOS is display is incorrect?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's an ECS board right? If you have an Athlon Palomino core, 1.82 volts shouldn't overheat your processor unless you are running it at 100% and have poor cooling.

It's not entirely unusual to get this degree of variability and you may need to flash the BIOS for a fix. Until then, simply go into the BIOS and manually set your CPU core voltage to 1.75 and see what it shows. If it's still high, set it lower till it reads between 1.7 and 1.75.

I'm assuming here that your XP1700+ is not one of the new Thoroughbred processors, right? If it is, then that processor runs at 1.5 volts and yes, you have a BIOS problem recognizing that newer chip. Again, flash the BIOS for an update to properly recognize the chip.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

NandoBMS

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Scout, thanks for the reply. The Mobo is from Soyo, and the AXP 1700+ is a boxed version (palomino core). I have changed the voltage in BIOS, from 1.82 to 1.795 (-0.025) and the system is stable now (52 C temp max). I am in doubt if i have to further lower the core voltage, because it is still above specs. I checked the SOYO web site, and there is no new BIOS. I have found an interesting thing in another motherboard manufacturer, that says they usually put 0.9 v more to the default CPU voltage (strange, dont you think?)

thanks, Nando

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I hope they are not serious about .9 Volts! That's a LOT based on today's low voltage processors! At any rate, it really is common to put a little extra juice in to help their boards run stable... us overclockers have done that for years!

You should go ahead and reduce your core votage down to 1.725 to 1.75 volts... 53 degrees is a little hot in my book. Is that idle or under load? If it's idle, it will get warmer as you put it under heavy load such as in a game.

Since you mention it was a boxed processor, I assume you are using the AMD heat sink and fan? Did you use their thermal tape? I would recommend scraping that stuff off and using some thermal grease for better cooling. Just be careful mounting and unmounting your HSF because it's still easy to crack an Athlon!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!