Presario 5282 upgrade?

lulu

I have a Compaq Presario 5282 Desktop that has a AMD K6-2, 450MHz
processor currently installed. I'm trying to upgrade to a faster CPU. I
have 384 megs of RAM. What are my options? I'd like to speed it up a
couple notches so that I can utilize the computer for a basic audio
recording studio. Nothing fancy, just trying to work with an old computer
that's available.

Thanks for your assistance,
Lulu

hh

Really, it isn't worth putting any money in that model. The fastest
processor the board will handle is the K6/2 500, and you really could not
tell the difference between that and what you have now.
You also are maxed out on RAM.
Where you could speed things up is the hard disk. The "Bigfoot" drive you
have now is dog slow. A new 7,200 rpm drive would be very noticeably faster.
Since your current drive is 19 GB, the limit on your machine likely is 127
GB and anthing that size or smaller would work fine. But again, if it were
my machine, I would not spend anything on it when you can get a new machine,
10 times faster, with more capacity for a few hundred dollars.

HH

"LULU" <lulu@lulu.org> wrote in message

> I have a Compaq Presario 5282 Desktop that has a AMD K6-2, 450MHz
> processor currently installed. I'm trying to upgrade to a faster CPU. I
> have 384 megs of RAM. What are my options? I'd like to speed it up a
> couple notches so that I can utilize the computer for a basic audio
> recording studio. Nothing fancy, just trying to work with an old computer
> that's available.
>
> Thanks for your assistance,
> Lulu

lulu

Thanks for the wake up! What easily ordered computer set up (read value for
the money) would you suggest? Also any suggestions on audio interfaces.
I'm still learning the hard way. : )

Lulu

"HH" <hahunt42@kgexpress.net> wrote in message
> Really, it isn't worth putting any money in that model. The fastest
> processor the board will handle is the K6/2 500, and you really could not
> tell the difference between that and what you have now.
> You also are maxed out on RAM.
> Where you could speed things up is the hard disk. The "Bigfoot" drive you
> have now is dog slow. A new 7,200 rpm drive would be very noticeably
> faster. Since your current drive is 19 GB, the limit on your machine
> likely is 127 GB and anthing that size or smaller would work fine. But
> again, if it were my machine, I would not spend anything on it when you
> can get a new machine, 10 times faster, with more capacity for a few
> hundred dollars.
>
> HH
>
> "LULU" <lulu@lulu.org> wrote in message
>>

>> I have a Compaq Presario 5282 Desktop that has a AMD K6-2, 450MHz
>> processor currently installed. I'm trying to upgrade to a faster CPU. I
>> have 384 megs of RAM. What are my options? I'd like to speed it up a
>> couple notches so that I can utilize the computer for a basic audio
>> recording studio. Nothing fancy, just trying to work with an old
>> computer that's available.
>>
>> Thanks for your assistance,
>> Lulu

hh

I've gotten very good service from my Presario SR 1000Z (Sempron 2800,
512MB, 80GB, DVD-RW). I've had it a year with no problems. Take a look at
this link:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?series_name=SR1010Z_series&catLevel=2&category=desktops/compaq_presario&storeName=computer_store

As for "audio interface" I'm not sure what you mean. You can get either
onboard audio or a soundblaster Audigy card.

> Thanks for the wake up! What easily ordered computer set up (read value
> for the money) would you suggest? Also any suggestions on audio
> interfaces. I'm still learning the hard way. : )
>
> Lulu
>

> "HH" <hahunt42@kgexpress.net> wrote in message
>> Really, it isn't worth putting any money in that model. The fastest
>> processor the board will handle is the K6/2 500, and you really could not
>> tell the difference between that and what you have now.
>> You also are maxed out on RAM.
>> Where you could speed things up is the hard disk. The "Bigfoot" drive you
>> have now is dog slow. A new 7,200 rpm drive would be very noticeably
>> faster. Since your current drive is 19 GB, the limit on your machine
>> likely is 127 GB and anthing that size or smaller would work fine. But
>> again, if it were my machine, I would not spend anything on it when you
>> can get a new machine, 10 times faster, with more capacity for a few
>> hundred dollars.
>>
>> HH
>>
>> "LULU" <lulu@lulu.org> wrote in message
>>>

>>> I have a Compaq Presario 5282 Desktop that has a AMD K6-2, 450MHz
>>> processor currently installed. I'm trying to upgrade to a faster CPU.
>>> I have 384 megs of RAM. What are my options? I'd like to speed it up a
>>> couple notches so that I can utilize the computer for a basic audio
>>> recording studio. Nothing fancy, just trying to work with an old
>>> computer that's available.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your assistance,
>>> Lulu

dannysdailys

If you're looking to buy from a company, look no further then your
newspaper. In this weeks ads, Office Max is showing a Compaq Sempron
3100, half a gig of RAM, 100 gig drive, CD/DVD RW, 9 in 1 memory
reader, speakers, and what looks like a 17inch no frills monitor. 449
bucks, seems like a winner to me.

lulu

It seems like a good, cheap alternative for the purposes that I had in mind!

Thanks for the tip.
Lulu : )