XP quirks after power outage

I'm having some strange problems - a few days ago we had a power outage and
my computer shutoff suddenly. It came on the next day, however, since then
I've noticed some "quirks." They were subtle. One problem is that quicken
no longer launches - I double click the icon (shortcut and exe file), and the
hour glass appears, then stops, but no program launches. Re-installing does
nothing. The same thing happens when I click on "help and support" on XP
start menu. Also, I am no longer able to access my disk manager service - I
get an error stating "unable to connect to local disk service..."

Anyway, I was hoping anyone had any suggesions besides a fresh install of
xp. Any help appreciated.

might try Run
sfc /scanonce
and reboot

"spartan117" <spartan117@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having some strange problems - a few days ago we had a power outage
> and
> my computer shutoff suddenly. It came on the next day, however, since
> then
> I've noticed some "quirks." They were subtle. One problem is that
> quicken
> no longer launches - I double click the icon (shortcut and exe file), and
> the
> hour glass appears, then stops, but no program launches. Re-installing
> does
> nothing. The same thing happens when I click on "help and support" on XP
> start menu. Also, I am no longer able to access my disk manager service -
> get an error stating "unable to connect to local disk service..."
>
> Anyway, I was hoping anyone had any suggesions besides a fresh install of
> xp. Any help appreciated.

Had the same problem once. Now I have a battery backup surge protector. No
more worries. I live in an area that has frequent blackouts... It's saved
my butt at least 5 times this summer.

Helen

"bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote in message
> might try Run
> sfc /scanonce
> and reboot
>
> "spartan117" <spartan117@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm having some strange problems - a few days ago we had a power outage
>> and
>> my computer shutoff suddenly. It came on the next day, however, since
>> then
>> I've noticed some "quirks." They were subtle. One problem is that
>> quicken
>> no longer launches - I double click the icon (shortcut and exe file), and
>> the
>> hour glass appears, then stops, but no program launches. Re-installing
>> does
>> nothing. The same thing happens when I click on "help and support" on XP
>> start menu. Also, I am no longer able to access my disk manager
>> service - I
>> get an error stating "unable to connect to local disk service..."
>>
>> Anyway, I was hoping anyone had any suggesions besides a fresh install of
>> xp. Any help appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that, but the problem still persists.
Any other suggestions?

"bumtracks" wrote:

> might try Run
> sfc /scanonce
> and reboot
>
> "spartan117" <spartan117@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having some strange problems - a few days ago we had a power outage
> > and
> > my computer shutoff suddenly. It came on the next day, however, since
> > then
> > I've noticed some "quirks." They were subtle. One problem is that
> > quicken
> > no longer launches - I double click the icon (shortcut and exe file), and
> > the
> > hour glass appears, then stops, but no program launches. Re-installing
> > does
> > nothing. The same thing happens when I click on "help and support" on XP
> > start menu. Also, I am no longer able to access my disk manager service -
> > get an error stating "unable to connect to local disk service..."
> >
> > Anyway, I was hoping anyone had any suggesions besides a fresh install of
> > xp. Any help appreciated.

"spartan117" <spartan117@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> "bumtracks" wrote:
>> might try Run
>> sfc /scanonce
>> and reboot
> Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that, but the problem
> still persists.
> Any other suggestions?

The obvious one of going back to a restore point made before
the blackout comes to mind. Is there one?

The sudden cutoff of power may have trashed something on the
HD. Rolling back to an earlier restore point might help.

By the way you HAVE already moved all your data (in the
Documents and Settings folder) to a safe place haven't you?
You should do that before doing anything else.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Yeah, I tried multiple restore points, however, when windows loads I always
get the message that system restored failed - probably another quirk from the
outage. I even tried running Norton systemworks, and no good.

Oh well, may need to do a fresh install of windows. Appreciate the
feedback. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

"Opinicus" wrote:

> "spartan117" <spartan117@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > "bumtracks" wrote:
> >> might try Run
> >> sfc /scanonce
> >> and reboot
> > Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that, but the problem
> > still persists.
> > Any other suggestions?
>
> The obvious one of going back to a restore point made before
> the blackout comes to mind. Is there one?
>
> The sudden cutoff of power may have trashed something on the
> HD. Rolling back to an earlier restore point might help.
>
> By the way you HAVE already moved all your data (in the
> Documents and Settings folder) to a safe place haven't you?
> You should do that before doing anything else.
>
> --
> Bob
>
> Kanyak's Doghouse
> http://www.kanyak.com

"spartan117" <spartan117@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Oh well, may need to do a fresh install of windows.
> Appreciate the
> feedback. Any further suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated!

The only other thing that comes to mind is a repair
installation from the CD.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

does the sfc you mention do the same thing as the 'errorchecking on
next restart' check boxes?

thx

bumtracks wrote:
> might try Run
> sfc /scanonce
> and reboot
>
> "spartan117" <spartan117@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm having some strange problems - a few days ago we had a power outage
>>and
>>my computer shutoff suddenly. It came on the next day, however, since
>>then
>>I've noticed some "quirks." They were subtle. One problem is that
>>quicken
>>no longer launches - I double click the icon (shortcut and exe file), and
>>the
>>hour glass appears, then stops, but no program launches. Re-installing
>>does
>>nothing. The same thing happens when I click on "help and support" on XP
>>start menu. Also, I am no longer able to access my disk manager service -
>>get an error stating "unable to connect to local disk service..."
>>
>>Anyway, I was hoping anyone had any suggesions besides a fresh install of
>>xp. Any help appreciated.

I'm going to try the repair CD... I let you know how it goes. Otis - I'm not
sure what you mean about the error checking. When I run it, it states that
it is copying .dll files back to windows. Thanks for all the input.

"otis" wrote:

> does the sfc you mention do the same thing as the 'errorchecking on
> next restart' check boxes?
>
> thx
>
> bumtracks wrote:
> > might try Run
> > sfc /scanonce
> > and reboot
> >
> > "spartan117" <spartan117@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I'm having some strange problems - a few days ago we had a power outage
> >>and
> >>my computer shutoff suddenly. It came on the next day, however, since
> >>then
> >>I've noticed some "quirks." They were subtle. One problem is that
> >>quicken
> >>no longer launches - I double click the icon (shortcut and exe file), and
> >>the
> >>hour glass appears, then stops, but no program launches. Re-installing
> >>does
> >>nothing. The same thing happens when I click on "help and support" on XP
> >>start menu. Also, I am no longer able to access my disk manager service -
> >>get an error stating "unable to connect to local disk service..."
> >>
> >>Anyway, I was hoping anyone had any suggesions besides a fresh install of
> >>xp. Any help appreciated.

Start/My Computer

right click C:

click properties/tools/error checking. check both boxes, OK. it will
ask if you want to check on next start. say YES. then close. and
restart.

this has brought back several PCs from near death.

cheers