Pentium 4 2.4 system, so sad....

A friend of mine's dad bought a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz system from NBCi.com shopping. Man... He got so ripped off it should be illegal. The thing came with 256 MB of PC100 SDRAM. The site says "32 MB AGP Video" but in reality it uses onboard S3 ProSavage4 video on the Via P4M266 chipset and shares 32 MB of main system memory. I ran 3DMark2001, and the thing scored 255. Yes, 255. And the worst part about it, is it cost $1600. So messed up.

-------------------------------------------
<font color=blue> "Trying is the first step towards failure." </font color=blue>
49 answers Last reply
More about pentium system
  1. LMAO! VIA is so lame, they just had to buy S3-Graphics to make themselves lay-mer.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
  2. 255???

I got a P3 Coppermine 800 that'll do more than that!! GEEZ! THAT IS BAD!!

Then again, thats what you get when you have someone else prepackage it for you.

DIY!!! YOU WILL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT!

This post is guaranteed fresh for up to 7 days after the date printed on the box.
  3. Well it said INTEL P4 inside!!!! What could possibly be wrong with that????? ROTFLMAO

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!
  4. PC100 can be used on P4s??!!

Dear god, a trio from hell...

I will really go pray now for his sake, and you will give him a good floggin' on the noggin'!!!

--
    Help the THGC Photo Album project by promoting this URL to your sig! http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1
  5. Get this, I had a PII 300 that would do better than that-with a Radeon LE (a $40 video card).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
  6. I suddenly have more respect than ever towards refurbished parts dealers...

--
    Help the THGC Photo Album project by promoting this URL to your sig! http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1
  7. Yesterday I was at comp usa, and the lady in front of me in line was purchasing a pc. It was a p4 2.0 , with 64 mb of pc100 ram. CMON NOW.. she paid 999 dollars for it. I don't know about the rest of the specs, but im sure they were bad.
  8. Ya, he's gonna take it back. I went to Dell's site and you can actually get a REALLY good P4 system for the same price! Instead of PC-100 and integrated video, for like $1640 you can get PC-2700 DDR with a Radeon 9700 TX! It's incredible how crappy this system is for how much it cost.

I could build him one too. It might be fun, as I haven't built a P4 system yet, so it might be a different experience. But, I don't really care what he decides, as long as he consults me before buying :) so I know if he's getting a good deal or not.

<font color=blue> "Trying is the first step towards failure." </font color=blue>
  9. Dells are OK, but you do get stuck in the "Dell Trap" where if the motherboard or power supply fails out of warranty it's cheaper to buy a whole standard case, motherboard, and power supply than to replace the board with a Dell part.

10. LOL at everyone on this thread. This is just so funny. Well, I have said before, try your best to avoid anything even remotely related to VIA. You won't believe how much I regret buying a mobo with a Via chipset (which is on my current computer).

- - -
    <font color=green>Ignorance is bliss...isn't it (especially if you're a fanboy)?

"... In the semiconductor industry, it's good to be paranoid ..." - [Andy Grove]</font color=green>
  11. Building is the best. Thats pretty sad if you get charged $1600 for it. These people obviously are trying to fool people that just look at clock speed. There are tons of computers like this on ebay. P4s paired with a wopping 512mb of PC133 Ram.

VIA isn't that bad. I have no issues with them.
  12. Quote:
    PC100 can be used on P4s??!!

I wonder, why they didn't use PC66

Let us know what is the Best Chipset of 2002 in your eye.<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26410#26410" target="_new"> Click </A>
  13. LMAO =)

-Col.Kiwi
  14. Sadly, most people would probably think it perfoms pretty well. Heck, it's gotta be better then their old K6-350 with 16mb of EDO ram.

You only die once, don't mess it up.
  15. hey, edo kicked ass! i bought a couple 32 meg sticks from *cough*computer wharehouse*cough* for 50 bucks each i think, that was was one heck of a deal!

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
  16. True, it did in it's day, but come on ;).

You only die once, don't mess it up.
  17. Oh I how agree with you on staying away from via chipsets. Every computer I have ever owned/built with a via chipset has had problems. I just built a new box with an a7n8x nforce2 motherboard in it, and it owns. Stable as a rock, fast, no problems, what a change from via.
  18. You happily throw your one sided opinions around willy nilly, I have used numerous VIA boards without any problems what so ever, I have however had several ABIT and ASUS boards that have been endless grief. Perhaps you might state an opinion instead of preaching in future.

I say stay away from anything with Dark_Archonis on it.........

Castles made of sand, fall in the sean: eventually...
  19. Quote:
    I have used numerous VIA boards without any problems what so ever, I have however had several ABIT and ASUS boards that have been endless grief.

You sir are in the minority.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
  20. My god, what a persistant fanboy you are. As Black_Cat said, you are in the <b>minority</b>. At least 80% of all users who have Via chipsets have had problems with them. Don't believe me, then ask around on these forums. Go to other forums and ask around. If you have never had ANY problems with your Via chipset, then you are EXTREMELY lucky.

Your logic (if you can even call it "logic") just boggles my mind. I DON'T preach the future. Before you make statements like "via chipsets are stable", do some research, crawl out from under your rock, and at least <b>know</b> what you're talking about.

Let me tell you something.<b> Everything I say is based on several point-of-views. It's also based on my opinion, and all of my knowledge, combined with the educated opinions of several other people. What I say is not just my "opinion". It also involves some common sense. And how do I know all this? It's called research. I've been learning about computers and technology for years now. Everything I know I learned by myself. Also, if people are SO inclined to believe FUD and believe what society, the government, etc want you to believe, then how will you know the truth. It's like the Matirx; if you think that everything seems so right and so real, how can you tell if that's really the truth, and not just a dream, or an attempt to try and completely make you blind of the truth?</b>

What I say is as close to the truth (if not the truth itself) as I can possibly make it. If a certain person is ignorant of the truth, and stubborn to believe the truth, then how do you show him the truth? I provide links for everything I say, I can back up everything I say, and yet people think I "make everything up" because I'm an "Intel fanboy".

Why do I even bother arguing with ignorant newbies like you? I mean, isn't life easy when you don't know anything? It's sort of like being a child. It's like being an average american, sitting on the couch, and watching tv all day, thinking you know the truth, when really your are being spoonfed lies that the government and media want you to believe. I don't even know why I bother.

And, also, I would <b>highly</b> advise you stop making false comments, and to stop making personal comments against me (and others). With commments like those, you will quickly become hated in these forums.

- - -
    <font color=green>Ignorance is bliss...isn't it (especially if you're a fanboy)?

"... In the semiconductor industry, it's good to be paranoid ..." - [Andy Grove]</font color=green>
  21. im on my 3rd via chipset with no problems
  22. I definately caught some preaching in there... ;)

As for VIA, meh. Other people's research does show that VIA chips can be buggy as a sarcophagus out of "The Mummy". I have personally never had a stability problem with any of the few VIA systems I have run in the past, but hey, I'm the minority more often than not anyway.

You can only become a champion when you enter a ring where you risk defeat.
  23. Well the thread began good
    but now it's just the usual "what i say is true to everything" attitude
    bummer for this thread
  24. I would say VIA is no longer an unstable chipset maker ever since the KT266A. I have one anyways, and you can look at later chipsets and notice that there is little mention of instabilities.

--
  25. I don't understand what you have against VIA. I have one and it runs perfectly. I've never had a problem with it yet. May I as where you get this 80% statistic? Are you talking about all VIA chipsets as a whole or are you just talking about specific ones?
    If you get 80% statistic from searching the boards, that is not a good statistic for the following two reasons:
    1) Most people only ask for help if they have a problem. Most people do not post create a post to say "My via chipset works." You don't know how people have a successful stable computer using a VIA chipset.
    2) SOME of the people that have these issues are new at building computers and just don't have enough experience with motherboards. To put it bluntly, they just don't know what they are doing.

If you take a statistic using the number of VIA problem reports from THG's boards, its not an accurate statistic.
  26. LancerEvolution7, it's actually no secret that there are many problems with VIA chipsets, they made themselves a very bad name because of those troubles you can't get because of their chipset. Just think about the initial huge performance problems with Athlon and VIA chipsets. Fixing this problem with the 4in1 drivers was really a pain in the a.. .

Myself I had in the last ten years two systems with VIA chipsets. One did its job, the other one was a nightmare. After switching to SiS allmost all problems vanished... including the nasty infinite loop BSOD.
  27. I really started to follow up on VIA chipsets from their KT266A on. Please explain these performance problems to me. Yes, I know they VIA may have some problems, but 80% rate seems kind of high to me.
  28. Add to the fact the stability thing is a thing of the past now, they changed.

--
  29. I agree. My A7V8X is awesome & a rock. I believe that it's faster than Nfroce in single Ram setup, but have no benches to prove it. I sure don't see the posts for this board that I do the Nforce though. VIA must be doing something right.

30. I would agree that VIA chipsets are stable. I have 6 running and never had a problem with one of them. They have all been running at least 1 year. Thats 100% stable.
  31. do whatever you like, but in my opinion i would do the following: throw that lazy mobo through your window, and get a new one with rambus or DDram (depends on what you want to spend) and use that sdram for one of your older comps (if you have one)
    1) your pentium 4 will run smoothly
    2) your older comp will revive too (if you have one)
    3) if you want to slam that lazy mobo on the head of that vendor, go ahead, don't hesitate LOL :) (at least it would have served for something reasonable LMAO)

Btw do you really had the score of 255??
    My good old pentium 500 scored 287
    and that with only 128 M SDRAM...

poor pentium 4 :(

Enosi and I....
  32. I have used VIA since the KT266 on about a dozen computers, no problems with any of the boards. I did build a system on a Gigabyte board with an AMD 760 chipset and I will never go that route again. I couldn't wait to get a Shuttle AK31 with the KT266 to replace it with. Although, I have never used VIA previous to the 4in1 driver set. I don't see it, I have no idea why so many people have had so many problems.
    -Brett
  33. I've had one system with Via KT133 chipset. It's old, but I never had any problems with it. It always ran ok, and I blame crashes on Win 98, as when I put 2000 on it it was always stable.

I had more problems with the SiS 735(?) chipset on the ECS K7S5A. I use that now instead of the KT133, but it seems to have a few problems. I always leave this computer on, even at night, as it is a business computer, and it never crashes under "light" use. But, sometimes when using Windows Media Player or playing Warcraft III it flashes a blue screen then immediately reboots. I don't know what the BSOD says because it is too fast, so I'm not sure how to diagnose and solve the problem. Oh well, off topic. :P

34. blue screen and a reset? hmmmm that sounds again winblows like :lol:

well that's not a disaster it's possible that you have two DLL's that are fighting with each other a newer and an older version.
    Having had the same, this might help:

You can spot double DLL's by looking on the net for the prog "dllchecker" that prog displays after a scan all the dll's that you have in double.
    What to do in such case? Well spot the version number of the dll, and of every lower version, you change the extension name (bll , or whatever) and you save them in a little folder, for just in case of. It's a quite little job, as you still have to add to those files from where they came from. I did it with a little text file in which i wrote all the paths of the renamed DLL's and i had no blue screens anymore.

I have to admit that in very few cases (1 of the 23 doubles in my case) you have to put the older version back in place and had to rename the newer one, it's just a matter of testing and looking what's the best...

sometimes it's possible that two fighting DLL's force windows to restart, otherwise, i wouldn't know what could be the cause.

Enosi and I....
  35. Yeah, I have a KM 266 chipset now and it's fine. I did pop in a GeForce 3, of course, but it runs perfectly stably.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>
  36. ne1 know about the kt-400?

You guys are the best!
  37. Garbage....KT 333 is faster......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
  38. FS :/ missed 2nd page
    <---- Idiot, I am so like page 1 <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Stiffler on 01/06/03 01:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  39. Personally, I've had bad experiences with VIA chipsets, as have several of my work colleagues. Yet a friend of mine had the same mobo as me and never had a problem. Wierd!
    I think it all comes down to whether you've had bad experiences or not. We all tend to stick with what works, and avoid what doesn't.

I moved over to an SiS 745 chipset and have never looked back, always been vhappy with it, real solid. Yet some poeple don't like SiS. Like I say, it's all down to personal opinion.
  40. Gotta love those little stickers!

-zigzag
  41. Man thats bad. PC100. WOW

Then again, even big companies are doing it!

Before christmas i chanced upon a dell Inspiration xxxx advert, and yes, it sucked too!

It was a P41.8 upgradable to 2.4 (i bet the 1.8 wasnt a 1.8A)
    128Mb PC133 sdram
    Integrated intel graphics, up to 32mb of system memory (as if naming it intel makes it less sucky)
    Integrated sound
    20Gb hard drive of no name (probably 5400rpm)

Definately criminal.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
    Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>
  42. Im now waiting for an EDO ram equipped P4 chipset! :lol:

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
    Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>
  43. <i>
    i bought a couple 32 meg sticks from *cough*computer wharehouse*cough* for 50 bucks each i think, that was was one heck of a deal!
    </i>

i bought 16MB ram for CAD 800 back in ~'94, and that was when the exchange rate US:CAD was about 1-to-1. :smile:

:lol: <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol:
  44. US:CAD = 1:1?

Wow, that was a long time ago :wink:

-Col.Kiwi
  45. Upon finding the new Hyperion 4.45 4in1s on Via's website, I found their new Hyperion drivers are made to boost the KT400's performance specifically. It seems indeed the low performance problem may have been fixed now with these new drivers. I am hoping some KT400 users can try them out and see any difference.
    Again more proof that VIA is improving, as they release constantly new drivers.

--
  46. I did get a boost with the Hyperion drivers. I'm running the KT400 on the ASUS board. How much of a boost, I'm not sure of because I didn't bench it first. Was in a hurry. I was wondering though if it closed the small gap seen against the Nforce in dual Ram configuration. I suspect that the VIA board is just as fast as the Nforce board now with the Hyperion drivers & in single RAM configuration. I haven't said anything because I can't prove it myself. I'd sure like to see a bench on that though. I know my A7V8X was $20 cheaper that the Nforce. So for some it might be the needed price/performance break to allow them to build a new system.

47. Hmmm. I must try the hyperions for myself tonight! See what they do for my kt333.

48. If it does fix the KT400 performance problem, the performance will be slightly better than the KT333, but it will definitly not touch Dual Channel mode nForce 2.

--
  49. For the record, I have a a7v8x (kt400). I've had absolutely NO problems whatsoever with it. Completely, 100% stable.

I upgraded to the Hyperion drivers. All benchmarks were pretty much exactly the same as with the previous 4-in-1s, except the File System benchmark increased by about 7%. So far the Hyperion drivers are 100% stable.

I think the Hyperions were really made to boost AGP 8x performance on the kt400. Since I don't have an 8x card, I don't know for sure.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Video