Sign in with
Your question

My heatsink doesn't fit on my my processor?

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2002 2:47:54 PM

I am currently building a computer, and it seems after i lockdown my cpu on my motherboard, that when i apply the heatsink component and i attempt the put the heatsink on, it fits, but when i try the secure it using the metal attactments one side fits and the other doesn't reach the other side. Help?...

More about : heatsink fit processor

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2002 3:21:28 PM

How much "too short" is it?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 31, 2002 5:02:29 PM

What cpu and heatsink are you using (P4, P4, Athlon, etc)?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
Related resources
December 31, 2002 5:33:35 PM

I'm sorry about this post, after relooking at it, i just had to use a flat head screw driver to push it down. But I have another problem! :p , when i try to put in my cd-rw drive, there is nothing to screw it to.. I'm stumped..
December 31, 2002 11:32:20 PM

Your case might use a rail system for drives, no screws. What brand/model is the case? Do you have a link?

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>
January 1, 2003 4:27:30 AM

Sounds like its a case that uses drive rails. Is there some slides on the walls of the 5" slots? check the parts that came with the case and look for some [ shaped slides that have holes in them. These screw into the side of the CD-ROM. If you are missing them, then you need to go to local store and get some.

Booky

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
January 1, 2003 5:47:16 AM

Next time u instal a heatsink put the flat screwdriver away. Instead use a 1/4" drive socket screwdriver with a small socket (about 9-10 mm should fit). This way there's no chance that the screwdriver will slit off the attaching hardware and score the motherboard.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>
January 1, 2003 6:14:35 PM

yes that is a very good idea.. that is what i did..

Is THG Slightly Slacking??
January 2, 2003 10:13:39 AM

Another good idea. Use a bent screw driver that's made for pulling nails. It has a Vee, instead of the flat blade normal screw driver. This way the clip is retained between the Vee & can't slip to score the board as well. That's how I do it. My $.02.

Skinny

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!
January 2, 2003 12:19:06 PM

ok i see what your saying... yeah i didn't find to much trouble useing a regular flathead.. but you just gotta be careful about slipping and hitting the MOBO or something.. either way there both good.. just have to be carefull

Is THG Slightly Slacking??
January 2, 2003 1:27:59 PM

The men behind the guns?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
!