powering up 1st time

perik57

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
after putting togather all componets...amd athlon xp 2000+,asus a7n8x mobo,wd 80 gig 7200rpm HD,lite on 16x cd/dvd, floppy drive, gainward nvidia gainforce3 Ti200 video card, ocz enhanced latency ddr 3500.. when powered up the fans work great !!! power led lights and hd lights come on but nothing on the acer monitor except a steady power light indicator that soon starts flashing but no visual text on screen. I realize it could be a million things but my son has checked all jump settings and connections and says they are all true to the specs.This is his first atempt at doing this so any help from you-all would sure help.

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Simple solution to your problem. You need to clear your CMOS memory and go back into the BIOS and set everything up.

This is a good thread, <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=527833#527833" target="_new">Asus A7N8X Deluxe official thread</A>.

Hope that solves your problems. Let us know how everything turns out.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

perik57

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
followed suggestion and removed battery and moved jumper then reversed process and tried to power up again.. holding the "del" key.....nothing on the monitor still... he checked all jump settings and connections( he did notice that there was no power light on the keyboard for caps lock or scroll lock) ?? might the video card be bad? how can you check that ?

You can try removing the mobo, placing it on the static bag it came in, and using just the video card, cpu/heatsink, and one stick of memory. You may have to place it on top of the case, so the power switch lead can reach the board. It's a little awkward getting the atx plug, 12v plug, and power switch lead to reach the board, but it should post. I would also use the cmos jumper. You move it over one position for a few seconds with power supply unplugged, then return to normal operating position (3 pins with 2 pin jumper). Good luck.

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Can you try the video card in another computer?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

perik57

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Getting frustrated with this ...I have removed the mobo laying it on santistatic bag and tried again....no post !!! I do not have the ablity to put the vid card in another comp.I have read all the faqs and it tends to point to bad vid card .. any other way to pin it down for sure?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nonono, the static bag is supposed to CONDUCT electricity across it's surface, I recommend a phone book. Also I recommend he reads the motherboards faq for solutions to common installation problems.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>