Front USB ports in Dimension 4400

Hi, group:

I got an old 4400, which comes with 4 USB 1.1 ports: 2 at back
and 2 at front. Now I got a USB 2.0 PCI card with 1 internal
connector. I wonder if I can reconnect the wires so that at least
one of the front USB port becomes a 2.0 port.

Can this be done?

Thanks.

IIRC, the wires for the USB front panel on the Dimension 4000-series (4300 thru
4600), 2300, 2350, 2400 are all proprietary (and the same). I think you'd have
a messy rewiring job on your hands... Ben Myers

> IIRC, the wires for the USB front panel on the Dimension 4000-series (4300
> thru
> 4600), 2300, 2350, 2400 are all proprietary (and the same). I think you'd
> have
> a messy rewiring job on your hands... Ben Myers

Yep. Ben's right. But, if you have an empty optical bay you might pick up
the mentioned card + a 5.25 USB front filler to use (and connect to the PCI
card)

Here's a linked example (though it has many other features that may or may
not work):

http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/204-0698?mv_pc=froogle

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> IIRC, the wires for the USB front panel on the Dimension 4000-series (4300
>> thru
>> 4600), 2300, 2350, 2400 are all proprietary (and the same). I think you'd
>> have
>> a messy rewiring job on your hands... Ben Myers
>>

> Yep. Ben's right. But, if you have an empty optical bay you might pick up
> the mentioned card + a 5.25 USB front filler to use (and connect to the PCI
> card)
>
> Here's a linked example (though it has many other features that may or may
> not work):
>
> http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/204-0698?mv_pc=froogle
>

> Stew

Thanks, Ben and Stew. I probably will not rewire and use an
extension cable instead.

Best wishes to you guys.

Some One