My memory upgrade experience

I recently asked questions about upgrading my Dell Dim 2400 memory. It came
with 1 slot/256 MB.

I got a lot of helpful advice/suggestions. For some reason, I was just VERY
uptight about trying to even open the case, etc. I was afraid of messing
things up as I am not particularly handy that way.

Well, after doing some pricing, I ended up buying the memory at my local
Best Buy Store. It was on sale for $24.99 (the bastards -- despite their
lowest price guarantee -- wouldn't match Circuit City's sale of $19.95 as
that involved a mail-in rebate).

Anyway, the memory brand was Kingston Technologies (at least I've heard of
them).

As it turned out, the whole process from shutting down the computer, cutting
the power, opening the case, adding the memory, booting up again, and making
sure it recognized the added memory, took maybe 10 minutes. The most
pleasant surprise was how easy it was to open this case (slide the latch and
slide the case). I previously had a Gateway and for some reason the plastic
case never quite fit right and it was a pain to remove and put back. Also,
the memory snapped right in (I had to push a bit).

Now, it will be interesting to see what differences there are for me with
the increased memory.

So, thanks for your help. I know many of you do this every day. At least I
will have no hesitation in playing with the innards again if needed!

I might add, when people complain about Dell Tech Support, I do think the
best tech support is right here in this newsgroup. Folks are very nice about
being helpful. Some of you are so knowledgeable that it would be very easy
to be insulting or at least condescending. I haven't found that to be the
case at all.

Also, for those who have been following my posts about getting a wireless
set-up, I also bought the Linksys router (WRT54G) so my next step will be
installing that. I'll wait till I get the laptop to do that. Unfortunately,
that price was $59.99 as again Best Buy would not match Circuit City's price
of $49.99 after a $10. mail-in rebate. Incidentally, Circuit City is 30
miles away and Best Buy is 2 miles away, so it wasn't worth the time/gas to
go there.

Mel

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message

> Also, for those who have been following my posts about getting a wireless
> set-up, I also bought the Linksys router (WRT54G) so my next step will be
> installing that. I'll wait till I get the laptop to do that.
> Unfortunately, that price was $59.99 as again Best Buy would not match
> Circuit City's price of $49.99 after a $10. mail-in rebate. Incidentally,
> Circuit City is 30 miles away and Best Buy is 2 miles away, so it wasn't
> worth the time/gas to go there.
>
> Mel

Mel,

Thanks for letting us know of your success. It's nice to hear. Most of the
time, the suggestions are made but we never know if they work.

As for the WRT54G, it was a good choice. My suggestion, though, is why wait
for the laptop. Go ahead and install it between your desktop and cable
modem and get it up, running and working. Get all the wireless parameters
and security working.

That way, when you get your laptop, you just make a few configuration
changes on the laptop to match the security settings and you're surfing. If
you wait, your exciting new laptop will sit there while you figure out the
router!

Tom

That makes sense.

I guess it's time to read the manual. According to the package, this router
has a quick set-up button. We shall see, huh??

Mel