skitallz

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2002
I just built a new computer with an Sr7-8X motherboard and a P4 2.8 Ghz processor. Come to find out, noting appears on the monitor when put on. Everything was checked and the problem is the motherboard becuse one of the pins for the cpu fan doesn't work. the motherboard is totally messed up and i need to return it to the company. All i want to know is if i can somehow check if the cpu still works. I did hear that when a motherboard goes bad the cpu can go bad along with it. The moherboard came with the cpu as a combo that i ordered and i was hoping to know if there is some way to find out if the cpu still works and hasn't gotten mesed up with the motheboard. i wanted to just order a whole new motheboard instad of sending it back and going through al of that trouble.is there some way can test the cpu to see if it wasn't messed up with the motherboard? thank you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go find a Dell that's still under warranty. Install the CPU. If it works, fine, if it doesn't, at least you'll know, and on the odd chance that it blows the board (very unlikely, but possible), put the original CPU back in and claim it never happened.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pop it in any board and find out if it works. In the very unlikely event that it does fry the board, return both.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Only way to test a CPU is in a Motherboard....

Bring ur chip over to a friends house who has a Socket 478 P4 Board and pop ur chip in there......if it works it works, if it doesnt, it doesnt.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>