Is there a difference between CD and usb

Riz2612

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Hi, Quick question, I am trying to re install windows from my USB however on the installation after 'windows is loading files' it freezes at the 'starting windows' screen (Black screen with windows logo)....

Would trying a DVD windows be different or is this a seperate issue all together

Please can someone help me... thanks in advance,

Riz

Riz2612

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Ok i have burned the image onto DVD and tried to boot from the DVD however the same problem occured. what should i try next....

also maybe i burned the DVD wrong i used 'imgburn' and i clicked the create image from files/folders... then i clicked UDF and made it bootable. is this correct

Riz2612

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I created the ISO from a Windows DVD that i got, i did this incase i lose the disc which sadly has happened -_-... so thats why i know it cant be the ISO that is the problem as it is legit.

Riz2612

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Im installing windows 7 Ultimate.... but if there is something wrong with the ISO wouldnt that mean this problem would occur of any PC i try to install it on? if soo this is not happening.... appreciate all the help btw.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

So, is the image working with other systems?

If so, go into the BIOS of the system you are having trouble with and do the following:
-Set your SATA mode to IDE (you can change to AHCI later)
-Disable non-essential peripherals/ports (like sound and serial/parallel ports).

Try again.

Riz2612

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Yes the image is working perfectly fine on other systems.. just installed it on a laptop i have and it works completly fine.

I will try the BIOS thing... what exactly do i need to disable? do you mind giving a list so i do it completly correct....

Thanks for your help.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Disable your sound, network, and serial/parallel (if an option). You will enable after you get Windows installed.

Also, make sure your SATA mode is set to AHCI (not RAID). If already AHCI, then set to IDE mode. You can change back to AHCI later as well, after Windows is set up.

Riz2612

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
hi there ok i have tried setting the SATA to IDE but it already is IDE... so i disabled what you said.. but still no luck the same thing occurs..... something i may add is that i have been able to install windows XP on the machine and is working fine however windows 7 just wont work ::S this is rather strange...

Riz2612

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
yes this is true XP was installed yesterday via a bootable XP CD... and yes Windows 7 disk is DVD... now we are getting somewere lol... I should try to install windows 7 by xp?

Riz2612

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
ok so i found how to start the installation however i keep getting an error 'd:\support\migwiz.exe is not a valid win32 application..... :S:S:S:S im guessing its because windows XP is 32 bit and the version of windows im installing is 64Bit????

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is ok. I am just verifying that your optical drive can actually read DVDs. There is no upgrade path from XP to Win 7. You must boot from the Win 7 DVD and install from there.

So, booting from the DVD still causes the system to hang. How long do you let it sit for before giving up?

Riz2612

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
oh my bad ok... and yeah if i try to install the windows 7 from disc it still hangs at the logo screen.... and i have waited roughly half an hour.... im prety sure it is frozen as the logo has stopped glowing.. as in normally the glow expands and gets smaller again.but that happens for about 5 seconds then it freezes....