DVD Burner Drives

Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from Dell
and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.

Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about burner drives

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 22:00:17 -0400, "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet>
    wrote:

    >Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
    >instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from Dell
    >and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
    >buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
    >
    >Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
    >
    >Thanks.

    It gives you a LOT more leeway options-wise if you have a dual-format
    burner, especially if one format ends up "winning." At the moment,
    we're right on the brink of DVD+ coming out with dual-layered discs,
    so you might want to wait a bit to see what drives emerge as the new
    ones to get.

    Currently, though, I'm *really* happy with the incredibly-cheap
    NEC-1300A. It's dual format, and can be obtained for ~$90 OEM at some
    places online (like newegg.com).

    -D

    I've got a dual-format, but use +R media only, and am VERY happy with it.
    Get a dual or a +R. It's probably best to avoid -R, as that format seems to
    be losing popularity. I think everyone knows that whichever one starts to
    "win" will benefit from a snowball effect, and the loser will virtually
    dissappear before long.

    "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    > Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
    > instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from
    Dell
    > and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
    > buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
    >
    > Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I've seen the OEM NEC 2500 with NERO (Black) on eBay for $103.00 delivered
    in the past couple days. If your willing to spend a little more the Plextor
    708 is a very nice drive. Does all but the DVD RAM.
    Good luck,
    RJ

    "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    > Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
    > instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from
    Dell
    > and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
    > buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
    >
    > Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have two Plextor PX-708A drives in my Dimension 8100. The Plextor is all
    format except DVD-RAM. They have worked quite well for me in the short time
    that I've had them.

    Personally I burn mainly in -R simply because for some strange NONE of the
    DVD players that I own (2 plus a portable) will work with +R. I've even
    tried a couple +R discs on my dad's and my brother's players and theirs
    won't work with +R either. I've always heard and read that +R is the most
    versatile (for lack of a better word) in stand alone players but my
    experience has been just the opposite.

    "BWL" <razamanaz99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a dual-format, but use +R media only, and am VERY happy with it.
    > Get a dual or a +R. It's probably best to avoid -R, as that format seems
    > be losing popularity. I think everyone knows that whichever one starts to
    > "win" will benefit from a snowball effect, and the loser will virtually
    > dissappear before long.
    >

    > "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    > > Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
    > > instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from
    > Dell
    > > and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
    > > buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
    > >
    > > Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Yeah, I have a JVC 7 disc DVD changer for my home theater and according to
    the manual, it plays - disks but NOT + disks. However I have played + disks
    in the unit before with no problem. My main concern is if I buy a + burner,
    I will get it home, burn a movie and then try to play it in my home theater
    system and then all of a sudden, it will decide not to play a + disk! I
    want to avoid this problem if at all possible.

    "Nivek" <REMOVE_wwwebmail_REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have two Plextor PX-708A drives in my Dimension 8100. The Plextor is all
    > format except DVD-RAM. They have worked quite well for me in the short
    time
    > that I've had them.
    >
    > Personally I burn mainly in -R simply because for some strange NONE of the
    > DVD players that I own (2 plus a portable) will work with +R. I've even
    > tried a couple +R discs on my dad's and my brother's players and theirs
    > won't work with +R either. I've always heard and read that +R is the most
    > versatile (for lack of a better word) in stand alone players but my
    > experience has been just the opposite.
    >

    > "BWL" <razamanaz99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I've got a dual-format, but use +R media only, and am VERY happy with
    it.
    > > Get a dual or a +R. It's probably best to avoid -R, as that format
    seems
    > > be losing popularity. I think everyone knows that whichever one starts
    > > "win" will benefit from a snowball effect, and the loser will virtually
    > > dissappear before long.
    > >

    > > "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    > > > Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats
    (+ -)
    > > > instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop
    from
    > > Dell
    > > > and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
    > > > buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
    > > >
    > > > Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.

    I recommend the NEC2500a. It sells for about $87 at Newegg and it is the
    new generation 8X drive. Has been bullet-proof so far.
    Newer standalone DVD players will play +R media but older players are iffy.

    "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    > Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
    > instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from
    Dell
    > and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
    > buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
    >
    > Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
    >
    > Thanks.

    >"WSZsr" nospam@hotmail.com

    >I recommend the NEC2500a. It sells for about $87 at Newegg and it is the
    >new generation 8X drive. Has been bullet-proof so far.
    >Newer standalone DVD players will play +R media but older players are iffy.

    How old is an older DVD player? 2 years? 1 year?

    --
    "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

    See how the Pros get more POWER!
    http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

    My one year old Toshiba plays +R but my 3 year old Sony does not.

    "Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
    > >"WSZsr" nospam@hotmail.com
    >
    > >I recommend the NEC2500a. It sells for about $87 at Newegg and it is the
    > >new generation 8X drive. Has been bullet-proof so far.
    > >Newer standalone DVD players will play +R media but older players are
    iffy.

    > How old is an older DVD player? 2 years? 1 year?
    >
    > --
    > "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
    >
    > See how the Pros get more POWER!
    > http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

Dell DVD Burner Computers