Windows 7 desktop for all users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
This is supposed to work the same way that C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop does in XP. Anything you place in C:\Users\Public\Desktop will be seen by every user that logs in. The users will not be able to change or delete these items unless their account is granted admin rights.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
not easily, but you can try this, (I do this, I have 15 users on mine), make file called Shared Icons, copy the Icons on the destop that you want to this folder, quick switch to the other users and copy the Icons from the folder and arrange like you want

Yes there is. Copy the shortcuts you want on every desktop to each Desktop within each user profile folder. Of course, this must be from an administrative account, but if you are trying to automate this process, I think you're out of luck. I have not found any program that can automate this process.

Believer

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
The process was simple in WinXP. You could go to Document and Settings, find "All Users" and use that Desktop folder to standardize all computers. When cloning is done, all user's profiles desktop populates with the icons in this local folder. In Windows7 the "All Users" folder is gone. I'm looking for a simple way to acheive the same results as it was with WinXP.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
The "All Users" desktop is now located at C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

There are potential issues with pasting a copy of the desktop items into each users desktop. First, the user now has control of that item and can change/delete this. Second, this is harder on the administrators as any change to desktop items must be added to the desktop of every user individually.

Remember one thing as well... when installing, some programs will give you the option to install for the current user or for all users. If you select all users, then the icons will show for everyone. Of course, not all software installers give you this option, but some certainly do. Other programs (World of Warcraft is one I can think of) automatically install themselves for all users.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
This is supposed to work the same way that C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop does in XP. Anything you place in C:\Users\Public\Desktop will be seen by every user that logs in. The users will not be able to change or delete these items unless their account is granted admin rights.

Solution

Believer

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks. Very Helpful.

uhoowee

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
actually for windows 7 pro, there isn't any Desktop folder in the Users folder...and if you create one and share it as admin, the icons still don't populate on the desktop for all users--even if you give everyone rights to the folder; they have to navigate to c/users/public and then find the folder you created to access. how the microsloth wizards did not see this coming is beyond belief. not good enough. think IT for schools where 100s of kids are signing on to unique end user accts. big step backward from XP for this feature.

NOT SOLVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.