Sign in with
Your question

Please help me!

Last response: in CPUs
January 1, 2003 11:56:20 PM

Hi, I have a p4 2.4 ghz processor and an ECS P4S5A Motherboard. The problem is when I start up the computer the BIOS reads the processor speed as 1.8 ghz. Because of this my games read the speed as 1.8 as well. I've been to Intel and it says that if the comp doesn't read the speed correctly, the speed will be downgraded. I know it's just a .6 difference but I really need that. I can't upgrade my BIOS because the damn upgrade software from ECS causes errors in my WIN XP Home. Does anyone out there have the same problem as I do? I really need some help! Thank you

More about : question

January 2, 2003 4:06:10 AM

Well, I first of all must say that you should not expect anything "outstanding" or even "good" out of an ECS board - but on to your problem. If its reading the 2.4, your FSB (Front Side Bus) might be set at 400Mhz (read-out on your BIOS as 200Mhz) instead of 533Mhz (266Mhz on your BIOS). It might also be that the ECS board only supports 400Mhz FSB... which would most likely be due to the store that sold it to you... anyone who suggests ECS know more about wanting your money than selling a good product.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh
January 2, 2003 4:39:59 AM

Well, the manual says that it supports up to 533 Mhz FBS. And I'm not sure what I have to change in the BIOS or anything. Well, I'm not hardware illiterate... it's that my BIOS setup (and my motherboard) sucks. hehehe... There is a DRAM speed I can change from 100 to 133 or 166. But other then that I don't see a FBS anywhere. So do you suggest I just buy another motherboard? If so, what do you recommend that is good and cheap?
Related resources
January 2, 2003 4:50:18 AM

Well, I won't make you go out and buy a new one yet... heh. But as for the memory speed, what kind of DDR RAM do you have (PC2100, PC2700) ?? Now, the FSB settings should be located in the "frequency settings" part of the BIOS... double check just in case... otherwise, I'm not too sure what can be done... hmmm, contact ECS and ask for their tech support, its a quick and easy question. Otherwise, A nice MSI Kt3 board is excellent and low-cost...maybe a Gigabyte even... a board with the VIA FT333 or VIA KT266A chipset is gonna be good and cheap.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh
January 2, 2003 6:39:30 AM

Set your DRAM speed to match your memory, 100 for PC1600, 133 for PC2100, and 166 for PC2700. Then under Frequency settings there should be a multiplier and a bus speed. If these are not available then the FSB is most likely locked with a jumper. What ECS board are you using, I can check the online text if you like.

Booky

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.
January 2, 2003 1:05:01 PM

I would really appreciate it if you checked for me, Booky. My mainboard is a P4S5A. as for my ram I think it's 2100 (well, it's 512 mb DDR). The frequency setting in my BIOS is locked... If I can get it to unlock I may be able to fix it :) 
January 2, 2003 2:39:46 PM

Which P4S5A do u have???

ECS's site displays 3 different ones...

P4S5A V.1.X
P4S5A/DX+
P4S5A V.5.1A

I just downloaded all 3 manulas off of ECS's website.....

1) The ECS P4S5A V.1.X (The first board listed above) does NOT support 533Mhz FSB P4 Cpu's...its ONLY 400Mhz FSB...however in the Bios theres a feature called CPU PnP Setup (Plug N' Play Setup) try switching from 100/133 to 133/133 or 133/166 if there is an option...if not ur SOL...and ull need either switch ur CPU for a 400Mhz FSB Version or switch ur MB for a 533Mhz FSB Supporting one......

2) The ECS P4S5A/DX+ (The second board listed above) DOES support both 400 & 533Mhz FSB P4 Cpu's.......The manula also says it automaticallt detects the CPU's speed and FSB...but u cna adjust it if needed VIA Jumpers or int he Setup Utility.......so in ur case....either ur cpu is actually a 1.8GHz part....or ur MB doesnt wanna detect that its a 2.4..so in the CPU PnP SETUP in the BIOS change the CPU/DRAM Settings from 100/100 to 133/133.......also see if u can change the CPU Frequency section from 100 - 133MHz same goes from DRAM Frequency...than save the settings and exit the bios....

3) The ECS P4S5A V.5.1A (The Third board mentioned above) is for the Socket 423 P4 Platform and is not needed...which i realize now after downloading the manual and reading through it.....

I dont know what ur situation is but if u have the 2nd above mentioned board than u should not be having any problems if it IS an authentic 2.4GHz CPU.....

My question to u is did maybe u or ur son discuss buying a 1.8GHz P4 CPU and overclocking it to 2.4GHz speeds?? if so than that explaisn the whole situationa nd what u gotta do is what i mentioned above...switch ur CPU Frequency from 100Mhz to 133Mhz same with DRAM Frequency..HOWEVER if this si NOT the case and u DO have the 2nd above mentioned board..ur computer shop ripped u off, knowing that the majority of 1.8GHz P4's OC to 2.4Ghz easily......and id suggest u go and return the CPU for a new PROPER one......otherwise its ECS's fault......OR u have the first board mentioned above and in that case theres nothign u can do but return wither the CPU or the board for a different one...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
January 2, 2003 2:50:23 PM

Thank you for taking your time and looking the manuals up MeTaLrOcKeR. I think my MB has to be the P4S5A/DX+ (2nd one) because the manual I got with it says that it supports up to 533 MHz. And I have the sticker you get when you buy a processor and it says 2.4 GHz. I have also taken the fan off and checked on the processor chip itself, which says 2.4 GHz. I think I have it figured out. I just need to find the jumper or whatever is responsible for locking my FSB speed. I know I have been able to change that before, but I didn't know what it did. So I just took the comp back telling the store owner to fix it (which was a long time ago). Which he didn't do. But after I got it back I noticed that the FSB speed was locked. So it has to be a jumper feature. If I can unlock it i may be able to solve my problem. Once again, I really appreciate you guys help me out :)  Thanks. Now I just need to know which jumper to pull.....
January 2, 2003 5:37:52 PM

It sure looks like it.... The location of the chips and stuff are pretty much the same... So I would say that it is my motherboard.
January 3, 2003 1:03:00 AM

I'll look soon, and will get back with you later tonight. I got some work to do first, after all I am at WORK :-)

Booky

January 3, 2003 4:31:25 AM

Well here is what I have to say. First of all, are you sure you ahve a 2.4 with 533MHz FSB? There is a 2.4 with 400MHz FSB also you know. Having said that, I have to ask, are all the settings in CPU PnP setup area locked, can you change the multiplier or DIMM/FSB clock?

Now for the jumpers, JP1 and JP2 are the only ones not listed in the manual. I would probably try to change JP1 to the opposit of what it is now, ie if its got 1 and 2 connected and 3 open then remove the cap. If it has no cap then put on over 1 and 2. JP2 is right by the AGP slot so I don't suspect that is it, but it could be.

I guess this is why I don't buy ECS stuff, they only give full settings to engineer samples :-( Good Luck with this.

January 3, 2003 3:45:14 PM

The settings in CPU PnP are all locked except for DRAM speed. I took the comp to the shop again so I'm using the laptop. There the shop owner tried putting in a 1.7 GHz just to try it out. When he put it in the multiplyer was unlocked and read 1.7 GHz correctly. Then the CPU Ratio or something was unlocked and he changed it from HW Trap to 2.4x. Then he put the 2.4 processor back on but the comp still read it as a 1.8 GHz. And it said 533 MHz on the processor itself (the 2.4 GHz). I still think it might be a jumper but maybe the processor is defected? Or it could just be the mainboard. Well, I'm supposed to get it back this afternoon so I'll tell you guys if it's fixed. But I'll still need some help incase it doesn't work....
January 4, 2003 2:13:44 AM

Just curious, did you buy the chip from this same shop? Well, im sure he should know what to try next, for I am now at a loss.

January 4, 2003 2:52:52 AM

Well, I finally got rid of the problem by paying up 40 more bucks for a new motherboard. And now it displays the processor correctly. Maybe the ECS crap didn't support 2.4. Well, I'm satisfied. I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my topic or even looked at what I had to say. :D 
January 4, 2003 3:50:13 AM

The best part is that you got something worth having now :-)

January 4, 2003 5:04:12 AM

Hey guys I have encountered another small problem,but it doesn't have to do too much with the mainboard but would be easier for me if I post it here. Well, I bought a new ASUS P4S333-VM Motherboard with intergrated LAN. I have Win XP and when I go into My Network Places the Intergrated LAN Card doesn't appear there so I can't setup a home network. The internet works, I can surf the internet and stuff but the LAN card doesn't show up and I really need it to. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks
January 5, 2003 11:31:27 AM

Again, you probably will have to go back into your bios....

In your bios, there is a screen where the onboard LAN, sound, modem (whatever extras you have onboard) can be disabled. From there, ensure that it is enabled, set back and let it reboot.

If, after this, it isn't detected, then you may have to force detection in Win XP. You would do this by going into Control Panel and Adding New Hardware....(Just be sure you know EXACTLY what type of onboard LAN you have, before doing this...)

However, this will be the first time I have ever heard of detection problems with onboard stuff with Win XP, if in fact it does have a problem...

This post is guaranteed fresh for up to 7 days after the date printed on the box.
January 5, 2003 6:55:54 PM

Please be a little more clear on ur problem ??

Cuz if u double click Network Neighbourhood ur NIC isnt supposed to show up.....

That immediate window would only show all ur shared folders on the network.....

what u should do is right-click on the Network Neighbourhood icon and than click properties...that shows all the Local Area Connection properties related to ur NIC....

hope that helps...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
January 6, 2003 12:51:53 AM

the same thing happend 2 my buddy. bios prob

You guys are the best!
January 6, 2003 3:01:21 AM

The person with the problem is running a pentium rig. Your recommendations are for athlon rigs. MSI kt3, VIA KT333 and KT266A are all for athlons.
January 6, 2003 4:52:12 AM

Oh no [-peep-] -oops. In that case an MSI board with the 845 chipset is best...

!