Windows7 upgrade

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows 7
October 10, 2012 2:37:57 PM

I am building a new computer and have a windows7 upgrade. Do I need to load xp on my new system to allow windows7 to install?

More about : windows7 upgrade

a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2012 3:00:50 PM

See here for directions on doing a Clean install using Upgrade media --- You do not need to install XP first as even if you do you will need to reformat the HDD using the custom install since 7 does not support upgrading from xp (XP qualifies for the upgrade but you always have to do a clean install using the custom option anyway !)

If the activation does not work automatically it will ask you to call to activate it -- just call and first try the computerized activation process - if it fails you will need to talk to a rep - just give them the 2 product keys ( the one for XP and the one for the Upgrade media) and they will provide you with a working number to enter to get it activated.
m
l
October 10, 2012 6:26:19 PM

JDFan said:
See here for directions on doing a Clean install using Upgrade media --- You do not need to install XP first as even if you do you will need to reformat the HDD using the custom install since 7 does not support upgrading from xp (XP qualifies for the upgrade but you always have to do a clean install using the custom option anyway !)

If the activation does not work automatically it will ask you to call to activate it -- just call and first try the computerized activation process - if it fails you will need to talk to a rep - just give them the 2 product keys ( the one for XP and the one for the Upgrade media) and they will provide you with a working number to enter to get it activated.

Thanks I will try to call to get a key code first.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2012 6:37:58 PM

kponiato said:
Thanks I will try to call to get a key code first.

The code will vary depending on the parts of your system and the OS product key for your install -- when you try to activate it creates a code based on your license code and the various system parts that you read to the CS who then inputs that code into their system and reads you a response code that will activate your install - so I do not think calling in advance would work.
m
l
!