Williams system 9

I recently aquired a williams system 9 (Comet). I was going to part
this game out but for some strange reason my wife has fallen in love
with it so I will be fixing it.

This pin is basicly DOA . I have only opened it up to take a quick look
inside . This will not be my first big project , but it will be my
first Williams project.

it appears that several of the connectors will need replaced, however
before I start this project does anyone have any words of wisdom about
the williams system 9 ??

Thanks
Ralph

It seems that marvins skips from system 7 to system 11
but it looks like system 9 & 11 are close .

Thanks Del , I knew you were one of the ones that I could count on,
I just Replaced all the missing fuses and plugged it in for the first
time , and now I have a house full of smoke. Guess this will be a
start from scratch project

Um, I should warn you that the 2 pin GI connector on the lower right
hand side of the power supply tends to catch on fire. The wires are
yellow on the other two system 9 games, I assume that they are in comet
as well. After you replace the connector switch all the #44s to #47s
to reduce the load on this connector.

See here:
http://marvin3m.com/sys37/index2.htm#giconnect

Scroll down a bit to the system 7 power supply where it talks about the
2 pin connector.

When using the guide, the MPU is very close to a system 11, while the
speech board, power supply, and displays are close to system 7s.

Zach

Here's a good start up guide to use before
you plug any game in:

http://www.pbliz.com/id134.htm

It isn't game specific, but relevent to all games.

Comet is a great pin.

--
Fred
TX

<rgordo1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:1118614382.553545.99680@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I recently aquired a williams system 9 (Comet). I was going to part
> this game out but for some strange reason my wife has fallen in love
> with it so I will be fixing it.
>
> This pin is basicly DOA . I have only opened it up to take a quick look
> inside . This will not be my first big project , but it will be my
> first Williams project.
>
> it appears that several of the connectors will need replaced, however
> before I start this project does anyone have any words of wisdom about
> the williams system 9 ??
>
> Thanks
> Ralph

The power supply is identical with the one in System 11. GI connector is the old
style. I convert mine always to system 11. if you don't do this they will burn
again in no time. The 2 pin connector is also NLA. Bob E. or Ed might still have a
few but I wouldn't recommend using the old style connectors.

On 12 Jun 2005 17:17:26 -0700, Zachary Thicksten wrote:

>>When using the guide, the MPU is very close to a system 11, while the
>>speech board, power supply, and displays are close to system 7s.
>>
>>Zach

Regards
Frank-Rainer Grahl
(frgrahl@REMOVE.ME.gmx.net)

It's slightly hack-ish but this really makes these GI connectors live:

Replace header connector with square pins
Replace harness connector with trifurcon pins
Extend GI power supply to board w/two 12 gauge wires soldered directly to board
Use commonly-available molex 2-pin connector on the wires to aid board servicing
Break out 4 GI lines at the header and install 4-position fuse holder w/5A fuses
Remove original single fuse holder and jump pads with 12 gauge wire

Sounds like a lot of work but it's really not; some of it has to be done anyway
due to the connectors and such being burnt to a crisp already.

Benefits - connectors, fuseholders, everything runs REALLY cool compared to even
a fully rebuilt original setup. Also cuts down troubleshooting time for GI
shorts since you've fused each strand separately.

Richard