Closed

Parameter format not correct in command Prompt - Read Only..

August 2, 2005 11:27:02 PM

Parameter format not correct in command Prompt - Read Only attribute

I am trying to change the Read Only attribute in command prompt, After I
type the following command, Parameter format not correcet - Error messege
comming up as follows,

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name>attrib -r +s c:\documents and
settings\Myname\favorites
Parameter format not correct -

What is wrong, How the format should be?

Please help me, is there any easy ways to change all the folders from read
only to Normal?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:58:56 PM

"Samshun" <Samshun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|>Parameter format not correct in command Prompt - Read Only attribute
|>
|>I am trying to change the Read Only attribute in command prompt, After I
|>type the following command, Parameter format not correcet - Error messege
|>comming up as follows,
|>
|>C:\Documents and Settings\My Name>attrib -r +s c:\documents and
|>settings\Myname\favorites
|>Parameter format not correct -
|>
|>What is wrong, How the format should be?
|>
|>Please help me, is there any easy ways to change all the folders from read
|>only to Normal?

First attrib is a path command so it would be like:
attrib -r c:\path to files *.*

What I do is go to the root of a drive (partition) (cd \) and type in
attrib -r /S *.*

This will remove the read only bits from all files, makes a defrag
more useful.

You will see a lot of error messages, don't worry about it, just says
you can't remove it from hidden or system files.

To see the switches allow'd with attrib type in: attrib /?
--
Ever wonder what the rest of the world is searching for?
http://tinyurl.com/6ow99

Hi,
In command prompt: the OLD "8.3" (Dos Style) applies.
A max. of 8 letters before a period (.) and 3 after same. Takes time to
master.

Why don't you just navigate using "My Computer"
to: C drive
to: Documents and Settings
to: Your Name
to: Favorites
Hi-light, Right-click the folder(s) and/or file(s)
Properties
Untick the Offender(s)
Mikey S.
August 3, 2005 10:05:20 AM

Samshun <Samshun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> C:\Documents and Settings\My Name>attrib -r +s c:\documents and
> settings\Myname\favorites
> Parameter format not correct -
>
> What is wrong, How the format should be?

You may want to use the short pathname instead. Use DIR /x
in order to see them. Therefore, the command should read:
ATTRIB -r +s C:\DOKUME~1\Myname\FAVORI~1 (example).
Anyway, setting these attributes doesn't make too much sense.

--
d-d
Anonymous

i tried to fixed it using My Computer toolbar -folder option but it didnt work.
how can i see the hidden folders using command prompt? the file name of the folder is <job sheets>
October 11, 2010 5:08:51 AM

To see hidden folders in command prompt, you have to issue /a command.
Here's an example to show all the hidden files/folders in root of C:\ drive.

C:\>dir /a
November 11, 2010 1:00:10 PM

Here is the solution to your problem: Surround the filename with double quotes. Otherwise the command prompt will think each embedded space in the filename separates another parameter. Here is how you issue the command in the original post:

attrib -r +s "c:\documents and settings\Myname\favorites"
November 11, 2010 5:10:53 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!