Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Quake III Arena

ClawHammer 800 - 183 FPS
Athlon MP 800 - 135 FPS
Athlon MP 1667 - 210 FPS
Pentium 4 800 - 111 FPS
Pentium 4 1600 - 182 FPS

ClawHammer and Athlon systems used PC2700 (DDR333), and the Pentium 4 used PC800 (RDRAM), 400MHz FSB, and Willamette core.

Rest of system: Win XP Pro, 256MB RAM, GeForce3.

Not bad, eh? Imagine ClawHammer at higher clock speeds.

dhlucke

Polypheme
My spaceship:

Big wings: 2
Anti-matter engines: 3
Max Speed: Warp 3.2
Weapons: Potato gun (2), Ion Cannon (3)

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
My modded plane:
Really big wings: 4
Rocket boosters: 3
Power source: 5 nuclear reactors
Weapons: 3 Prokalators, 1 fart cannon
Max Speed: Warp XP 4.8+

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
My Time Machine:

Power Supply: Plutonium
Processor: Flux Capacitor (ver. II)
Chassis: DeLorean
Accessories: George Foremans mean Grilling Machine and Hotdog maker.
Weapons: Sling shot

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
My computer:

Processor: AMD Megatron SE XP PE 9000000+ 50 KHz processor
Motherboard: Asus 7XB39F2P3T34924838 motherboard
RAM: PC/Mac9600000 Infinite-DR SDRAM
Vid Card: nVidia Geforce 800 Ti Mega Ultra 100000 FX TX XP

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

G

I thought the U.N. banned the fart cannon?!?!!?

Most people live at the speed of life, I drink Mountain Dew!

My genitals:

2.5cm shaft length
1cm shaft girth
0.5 cm helmet length
1.2cm helmet girth
Saggy nutsack with 2 x 20oz nuts
1.7 million litres of man-muck
493 genital warts

:eek: Santa gives good head :eek:

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Anyway back to the topic. Some guy has scanned in a picture the benchmark results that german magazine did (forgotten the name).

Haven't got a clue what the diffrent benchmarks represent but all I can say is that in some of them the 1.2Ghz Clawhammer is beating the 2.2Ghz P4. Although some people have said that the P4 was using an old chipset and slow Rambus memory.

<A HREF="http://bbs.pcstats.com/amdzone/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=65073&STARTPAGE=2" target="_new">http://bbs.pcstats.com/amdzone/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=65073&STARTPAGE=2</A>

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
According to this thread this guy has access to some demo Opteron servers...he seems fairly impressed. Not sure if this is for real but certainly makes an interesting read.

<A HREF="http://bbs.pcstats.com/amdzone/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=65507" target="_new">http://bbs.pcstats.com/amdzone/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=65507</A>

mac404

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
lol, I think I'm just a little scared by that.

The problem with those benchmarks is that it's basing it against a Wilamete P4- these at 1.6 performed somewhere around a P3 at 1ghz or worse if I remember correctly, right? It may seem good, but it isn't a huge thing, unless it scales very well like they say it will. That's the only thing that might help performace. Right now it's pretty much speculation until they have a 2ghz Claw to bench which probably won't be for a little while.

If your wife says something and no one's around to hear it, are you still wrong?

G

Frankly, I'm more interested in the prices for Clawhammers. I don't care if Intel beats AMD by a few points that aren't noticable to the human eye, AMD has always been a bargain and I wanna see if AMD keeps it that way when new Intel+AMD prices are released. I already saw the price lists for GeForce FX's 2 months ahead of time, so I hope to see the same for AMD soon.

Why would the Germans get the CPU's first? Aren't China and U.S. the biggest buyers for AMD?

Most people live at the speed of life, I drink Mountain Dew!

mac404

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
Well then we all may be dissapointed, because isn't the Clawhammer a very costly processor to produce? I though I had read that they would phase the Athlon XP's out fairly slowly because it costs so much to make the new Athlon64's. If they sell them at a fairly good price, they will not be making much money if any at all. I'm wondering if the new processors will be fairly pricey when they release and slowly fall in price as yields rise and as they switch over to just the new process (which won't happen until the end of 2004 IIRC). It'll be an interesting year for AMD to say the least.

Oh, and testing my sig out: anyone like it?

<font color=red>A truly thought-provoking question:</font color=red>
If your wife says something and no one's around to hear it, are you still wrong?

TRENDING THREADS