terrible customer service

I used to be a longtime gateway user, but thankfully, I
finally learned my lesson, and build my own computers, and my last purchased
gateway, is out of its three year warranty and I was happy.
My family purchased a gateway laptop for me, for fathers
day a few months ago, and I had to be grateful for receiving it, but I
dreaded having another gateway, and my first laptop.
I got the 4028 model. A few pixels were missing, and
no documentation, no backup discs, but the machine functioned fine and I
rather enjoyed it for its purpose, which was to have a laptop on my desk in
my bedroom, to use whenever I want, and not have to inpinge on other
computer users in the house.
Well the computer is now three months old, and I was
using it, and left the room for a half an hour. On return, the screen was
off. I thought to myself, I dont remember turning it off. I noticed the
power lights were still on, and tried adjusting the brightness to no effect.
I turned it off, and then restarted to see if that would fix the problem.
What I discovered , that upon start, I could barely see the gateway splash
screen. So I closed the lights in the room, and got my big mag lite
flashlight out, and noticed that the computer was working, just no
illumination of the screen.
I called gateway and thats where my problem started.

1) The first time I called(and there is no 800 number, you have to call a
number thats on the bottom of the computer), I got a recording, hit a few
selections, and told the phone call, might be recorded or listened to (the
usual b.s.). They didnt say how long the que would be. Well after holding
for a half an hour, I finally get a ringing, which then goes to a recording,
that due to the high call volume, I need to leave a message and someone will
get back to me. Right. I left a message. No return call in two days.

2) I starting calling every day, till on the fourth day, I got a rep within
a minute, and told him the problem. He said they will send out by fed ex, by
second day air, a mailer to send by the computer, and there will be like a
two week turn around time.
Okay, thanks, appreciate it.

3) I wait about four days, and call again. Again I get a person , within a
minute, and he says you were mis informed, and that laptops go via dhl, and
a box was sent and the tracking has no information as of yet.

4) I wait another two days, get a person again within a minute, and they
said the tracking says it will be delivered on aug 25, and this is already
aug 29. They say , it will get there the next day.

5) Well on friday, I call again, because the dhl tracking number is still
showing nothing, and this is two weeks the computer is down. I ask to speak
to a supervisor, whos name is lance.
He was so beligerant. He said I am getting excellent service,
because they have on their record they sent out a box, the day I called in.
I said thats been two weeks ago, and that I called dhl, and they have no
record of the box being picked up from gateway. I told him that, and he told
me, thats a problem between me and dhl. I said, its gateway problem to get
a box to me. He said, dont interrupt him, or he will hang up on me, and
customers like me, make things bad for gateway. This is what he said. I
said, it is gateways responsibility to get a box to me, and I want one sent
air overnight. He said, you better not interrupt me again, or I will hang up
on you. I repeated again this is gateways problem, and he said its not. I
am getting great service because a box was sent out.

6) I called back about an hour later, and spoke with another rep, who had
a good attitude. I told him the situation, and he looked up the call log,
and said, this is way too long. The box may still come today, but let me
order another box sent to you and gave me a new return number. He said he
always wants a customer to be satisfied, whether they are angry or not,
because that is his job. I dont want to post his name, but he is a credit
ot gateway, but gateway probably wouldnt think so.

So, I am awaiting the new box now. By this time, the laptop
should have been sent , fixed, and returned, and here I am still waiting for
a dhl. I asked if I could send it myself, and get reimbursed, and they said
no, and wouldnt be respondible for the computer if I did.

Good points) 1. At least the laptop tech/service
seems to be based in the usa, and I dont have to translate indian to
english. They are polite in bombay or whatever, but uninformed, and
sometimes impossible to understand.

sorry for long rant, but has this what
gateway, has come down to. Saying that their responsiblity, ends with
sending out a box. I asked him, that if I never receive a box, that means I
cant get my computer fixed by them. .
Unbelievable, finally the death blow is near on
gateway, with this service.
this months consumer reports, rated break down rates of products, and
gateway was used as an example on computers, on which have the most
problems. check it out.

Much reards Jerry.
Hi Ed and Ben. As far I as am concerned YOU GUYS ARE GATEWAY TECHNICAL
SUPPORT.

Ed

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:02:09 GMT, "j.lef" <j.lef@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hi Ed and Ben. As far I as am concerned YOU GUYS ARE GATEWAY TECHNICAL
>SUPPORT.

I appreciate the compliment Jerry but I am in no way smart enough to
be a computer technician. I know just enough to keep myself out of
trouble now and then.

I remember your initial message on here when you were asking about GW
quality and support. It saddens me that you learned that they are
exactly the filthy trash that they were said to be. They use to tar
and feather filthy trash like them but these days, it seems to be the
norm of doing business. As long as people buy Taiwanese Junk through
scum like them, they will always be around to screw the public in one
way or the other.

Sorry you had to be the next in that long line for the GW shaft my
friend. Make sure you tell your story loud and far. If you can save
just one possible victim, you have done a good thing.

Regards,
Ed