Adding memory to Dell Dim 2400

I have a Dell Dim. 2400 with 250 MB.
I would like to upgrade to 512. How easy is it to do this. I have never
opened the case. Is the memory easy to access (ie: is it right there or
would I also have to remove something else to get to it).

Mel

Tom Scales wrote:
> It's pretty simple, but....
>
> If your 256MB is 2 x 128, you need to remove one to upgrade. If it is 1 x
> 256Mb you can leave it.
>
> I'd guess it is 2 x 128.
>
> I'd buy a 512mb Dimm and add it.
>
> Tom
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell Dim. 2400 with 250 MB.
> > I would like to upgrade to 512. How easy is it to do this. I have never
> > opened the case. Is the memory easy to access (ie: is it right there or
> > would I also have to remove something else to get to it).
> >

> > Mel

Go to Crucial.com, key in the model(DellDimension 2400) and you will be
told exactly what to buy . Trust Crucial, they are the Rock of
Gibralter.

What memory you add depends on what you are willing to get rid
of..throw away, or save. You have (2) @ 128. I would recommend that
you but two @ 256 0r 512. Pull the 2 @ 128 and save then for a rainy
day..you never know when you may need them. Crucial gives a lifetime
warrant and I have never had trouble with anything in all these years.
Get thenm cheaper elsewhere? of course. That's YOUR choice!

It's pretty simple, but....

If your 256MB is 2 x 128, you need to remove one to upgrade. If it is 1 x
256Mb you can leave it.

I'd guess it is 2 x 128.

I'd buy a 512mb Dimm and add it.

Tom
"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dim. 2400 with 250 MB.
> I would like to upgrade to 512. How easy is it to do this. I have never
> opened the case. Is the memory easy to access (ie: is it right there or
> would I also have to remove something else to get to it).
>

> Mel

Actually, I checked and it is 1 socket at 256 MB so I have one that's
empty.

Crucial seems high (although not as high as Dell!).

Mel

> It's pretty simple, but....
>
> If your 256MB is 2 x 128, you need to remove one to upgrade. If it is 1 x
> 256Mb you can leave it.
>
> I'd guess it is 2 x 128.
>
> I'd buy a 512mb Dimm and add it.
>
> Tom
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Dell Dim. 2400 with 250 MB.
>> I would like to upgrade to 512. How easy is it to do this. I have never
>> opened the case. Is the memory easy to access (ie: is it right there or
>> would I also have to remove something else to get to it).
>>

>> Mel

Either way, he could add another at 256.

Mine came with 2 x 128. Assuming did exactly what it threatened to
do......made an ass, out of me alone~ I guess the Dell comps change
like the gas prices!

Mike!

MB_ wrote:
> Actually, I checked and it is 1 socket at 256 MB so I have one that's
> empty.
>
> Crucial seems high (although not as high as Dell!).
>
> Mel

Crucial is good quality, but their prices are high. I'd check either
outpost.com (Fry's) or newegg.com for a deal on RAM that's the same
speed as what you have in there (I'm guessing it's DDR2700, but check to
be sure).

<axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Tom Scales wrote:
>> It's pretty simple, but....
>>
>> If your 256MB is 2 x 128, you need to remove one to upgrade. If it is 1
>> 256Mb you can leave it.
>>
>> I'd guess it is 2 x 128.
>>
>> I'd buy a 512mb Dimm and add it.
>>
>> Tom
>> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> >I have a Dell Dim. 2400 with 250 MB.
>> > I would like to upgrade to 512. How easy is it to do this. I have never
>> > opened the case. Is the memory easy to access (ie: is it right there or
>> > would I also have to remove something else to get to it).
>> >

>> > Mel
>
> Go to Crucial.com, key in the model(DellDimension 2400) and you will be
> told exactly what to buy . Trust Crucial, they are the Rock of
> Gibralter.
>
> What memory you add depends on what you are willing to get rid
> of..throw away, or save. You have (2) @ 128. I would recommend that
> you but two @ 256 0r 512. Pull the 2 @ 128 and save then for a rainy
> day..you never know when you may need them. Crucial gives a lifetime
> warrant and I have never had trouble with anything in all these years.
> Get thenm cheaper elsewhere? of course. That's YOUR choice!

I'm curious what made you sure he had 2 x 128. The 2400 was available (as
he has stated) with 1 x 256.

Tom

Actually in Canada, Dell prices are almost exactly the price of Crucial and
there is not a shipping charge. Add in the shipping and customs charges from
Crucial and the Dell comes in at about $10-15 less. I just bought an 80 GB
SATA drive from Dell Canada and the price was cheaper than a VAR. In Canada
the prices are finally coming down to a reasonable level.

Regards,
John O.