Sign in with
Your question

Start up problem

Last response: in Windows 7
October 10, 2012 4:15:06 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem with my new HP desktop Win 7 pro, 3.3 ghz i5 sandy bridge, 8gb ram. I own the machine since about 3 month, in the beginning I was delighted with the speed, then gradually performance decreased (as with it has with all widosw machines I have owned) the last couple of days it has been getting stuck hopelessly while I was working with lightroom and photoshop (things I need for my job) and today I finally had enough and started scanning for malware.
All scans returned negative so I thought I'll get rid of some of the software I don't need, I deinstalled an expired trial for Acrobat, after that the machine di not want to start up properly anymore (It would not load all programs on start up and never get to load the sidebar apps) so I went into a software I have called ccleaner and deactivated some start up programs I thought could be the cause (can't remember exactly which ones but mainly adobe updtaer and alike) It only made things worth, nowmost of the times I start up after entering the user password the screen stays black, sometimes it loads the desktop but many of the software icons in the start mennu are not loaded, If I use shortcuts like ctrl+Alt+shift to bring up the task manager it returns an erros message(this has actually been happening for a while in a couple of occasions, just now I tried to bring up the control panel and the following error message pops up:
'::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0 The remote procedure failed and did not execute.'
I have been able to start in safe mode a couple of times and all seemed well but now if I turn off with the power switch the safe mode dialog does not appear anymore, also when I try to restore the system to an earlier stage strangely the earliest point available is when I desintalled acrobat in the morning, no other points before that, and when I try to restore that i get another error message.
To top all this I have no real back up to draw from now and of course a lot of work lined up... therefore and advice couold be a potential life saver, thank you in advance for your help!

More about : start problem

October 10, 2012 4:29:32 PM

Run CHKDSK c: /r
Google how to do it.

OR

If you can get into safe mode do this:
1. Double click "My computer"
2. Right click on "Local Disk (C:) "
(Note: Your hard drive may be named something else. Also you may have more than 1 hard drive that you should run this on but everyone should have a drive C: at the least.)
3. Click "Properties"
4. Click "Tools"
5. Click "Check Now..."
6. Put a checkmark in both boxes.
7. Click "Start"
8. You will get a popup message, Click "Yes"
9. Click "OK" on the Properties window.
10. Click "Start"
11. Click "Shutdown"
12. Choose "Restart" from the drop down list
13. Click "OK"
At this point your computer will restart and instead of loading directly into windows it will run a test to look for and fix any bad sectors on the hard drive. When this is complete your computer will reboot again and load windows like normal.

If some data was found corrupt and unrepairable then windows may be unbootable depending on which files went corrupt.

FYI, Issues like yours are common if your computer suddenly lost power or was turned off without a normal shutdown.

If that doesn't fix the issue then insert the windows 7 DVD and boot from it. Windows 7 can often recognize that there is a boot up problem and fix it for you so at least you can get into windows.
October 11, 2012 4:52:23 AM

Thanks dark_lord69,

First of all thank you for your great support! I have tried CHKDSK several times but it did not really help, now sometimes the system boots (mostly it does not) and freezes over again every time I am trying to use a windows application like explorer.
I think you are right, the system may have powered down during an update... now to fix this the way you have suggested with the windows 7 DVD it turns out I actually don not have such DVD since it was installed on the machine when I purchased it, but there is a hard drive partition with recovery media (about 900mb) is there any way it can be booted from there?

Thanks again for all your help!

Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 11, 2012 6:21:15 AM

900Mb sounds a bit on the light side for a full recovery partition, but you'll need your manual to find out how to activate it (usually F11 or 12 at boot) or post your PC manufacturer... Be warned, this 'Restore to Factory' procedure will format your drive, so you'll need to backup 1st. If it won't run long enough to achieve this, try Safe Mode, and if that fails there are other methods...
October 11, 2012 6:28:24 AM

dodger46 said:
900Mb sounds a bit on the light side for a full recovery partition, but you'll need your manual to find out how to activate it (usually F11 or 12 at boot) or post your PC manufacturer... Be warned, this 'Restore to Factory' procedure will format your drive, so you'll need to backup 1st. If it won't run long enough to achieve this, try Safe Mode, and if that fails there are other methods...

Thanks Dodger 46,

You are right, the recovery partition is actually 9gb, I somehow mixed that up... I am actually backing up the drive out of safe mode as we speak, If I will not find another alternative until that is done (should be by the end of the day) then I see no other option then restoring to factory. It will be a pain to re install all the software and tweak everything back into place but hey, at least it will be as fast as when I first got it for another week or so... at least that is the way all my windows machines have worked this far!
Thanks again.
a b $ Windows 7
October 11, 2012 6:49:42 AM

Another tip for the future woud be to install your OS on an SSD, especially considering your use of Photo Editing Suites. You would get away with a 64Gb SSD and your system will fly. Then when you need to re-install Windows simply format the SSD and all your data is safe on the HDD where you told Windws to store it...
October 11, 2012 7:38:13 AM

dodger46 said:
Another tip for the future woud be to install your OS on an SSD, especially considering your use of Photo Editing Suites. You would get away with a 64Gb SSD and your system will fly. Then when you need to re-install Windows simply format the SSD and all your data is safe on the HDD where you told Windws to store it...

Thanks Dodger46,

I will actually try that (burning it to a dvd) as soon as the back up has finished. The SSD option would truly make a difference and I certainly would love to get my hands around one, the problem is I currently live in Kenya and within the locally available technology finding a SSD is very unlikely, I am currently on a so far unsuccessful mission of finding a graphic card capable of enabling CUDA acceleration, around here as soon as you need something slightly above the low end consumer range you end up paying premium dollars for ancient and outdated technology. To top that hardly any online business even accepts to ship here, I recently got my ebay account blocked for no other reason then ordering 4 items at once and this kind of purchase coming from Africa is highly suspicious, that's why they cancelled my orders (no refunds!) and I was lucky to find the email addresses of the sellers on my invoices and finally able to convince them to send me the stuff I had already paid for.
Sorry for all the complaining, its just that sometimes the frustration of living on the 'wrong' continent gets to me.

Thanks again for all your help!
a b $ Windows 7
October 11, 2012 10:31:57 AM

Frustrating when so many CUDA capable nvidia GPUs available on Ebay... how reliable is delivery to Kenya? Do items get 'lost' frequently? Don't suppose there is much of a tracking service...if I can assist with re-routing let me know... typical GPU 700gm would cost £10.40 Airmail small packets or £15.60 tracked UK only.
!