Boot to XP...

I recently ran fdisk and reformatted my harddrive, removing WinME and
installing WinXP. Everything went fine, except when I boot up I get a DOS
screen and the message:

"Please select the operating system to start:

.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
.. Previous operating system on C:"

This is followed by a 25 second countdown. The first option is highlighted
so I just press Enter and XP boots up. Is there a way I can bypass this
screen and boot directly to XP?

Thanks.

Silas
5 answers Last reply
More about boot

    You will need to edit your Boot.ini file via msconfig (Start, Run, type
    in msconfig)

    Edit boot.ini in the root of C: to remove the 25 second countdown; make it 0

    GreenieLeBrun wrote:
    > You will need to edit your Boot.ini file via msconfig (Start, Run, type
    > in msconfig)

    Sorry, try right click on My Computer, select properties, then the
    Advanced tab, then the Startup and Recovery Settings button, then the
    edit button.

    "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You will need to edit your Boot.ini file via msconfig (Start, Run, type
    > in msconfig)

    That's a help. I found Boot.ini editing info at the MSKB.

    Thanks

    Silas

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:23:49 -0400, "silas"
    <silasmprophetNOSPAM@netscape.net> wrote:

    >I recently ran fdisk and reformatted my harddrive, removing WinME and
    >installing WinXP. Everything went fine, except when I boot up I get a DOS
    >screen and the message:
    >
    >"Please select the operating system to start:
    >
    >. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    >. Previous operating system on C:"
    >
    >This is followed by a 25 second countdown. The first option is highlighted
    >so I just press Enter and XP boots up. Is there a way I can bypass this
    >screen and boot directly to XP?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Silas

    Your REAL problem is the second choice on the Boot Menu.
    While YOU say that you ran fdisk and reformatted your HD, Windows says
    differently. Windows says that there is still a previous OS on the HD
    somewhere.

    A "Clean" install of XP doesn't leave you with a boot menu, unless you
    didn't really completely reformat the HD.

    My suspicion is that you only reformatted one partition, leaving bits
    of another OS on the HD.

    To install XP truly "clean", you will have to delete ALL partitions on
    the HD. This means that you will have to backup your data to a
    different HD or to one or more DVDs or CDs.

    You should never have to use fdisk or format from a version of Windows
    9x (which includes 95, 98, 98SE, and ME).

    Just boot using the XP installation disc instead of a Windows 9x
    startup floppy. There will be options in the Installation program to
    delete or create partitions, then format them before installing XP.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread.
    If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    from my email address before sending.

Boot Microsoft Windows XP