I recently ran fdisk and reformatted my harddrive, removing WinME and
installing WinXP. Everything went fine, except when I boot up I get a DOS
screen and the message:

"Please select the operating system to start:

.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
.. Previous operating system on C:"

This is followed by a 25 second countdown. The first option is highlighted
so I just press Enter and XP boots up. Is there a way I can bypass this
screen and boot directly to XP?

Thanks.

Silas

You will need to edit your Boot.ini file via msconfig (Start, Run, type
in msconfig)

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Edit boot.ini in the root of C: to remove the 25 second countdown; make it 0

GreenieLeBrun wrote:
> You will need to edit your Boot.ini file via msconfig (Start, Run, type
> in msconfig)

Sorry, try right click on My Computer, select properties, then the
Advanced tab, then the Startup and Recovery Settings button, then the
edit button.

"GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You will need to edit your Boot.ini file via msconfig (Start, Run, type
> in msconfig)

That's a help. I found Boot.ini editing info at the MSKB.

Thanks

Silas

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:23:49 -0400, "silas"
<silasmprophetNOSPAM@netscape.net> wrote:

>I recently ran fdisk and reformatted my harddrive, removing WinME and
>installing WinXP. Everything went fine, except when I boot up I get a DOS
>screen and the message:
>
>"Please select the operating system to start:
>
>. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>. Previous operating system on C:"
>
>This is followed by a 25 second countdown. The first option is highlighted
>so I just press Enter and XP boots up. Is there a way I can bypass this
>screen and boot directly to XP?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Silas

Your REAL problem is the second choice on the Boot Menu.
While YOU say that you ran fdisk and reformatted your HD, Windows says
differently. Windows says that there is still a previous OS on the HD
somewhere.

A "Clean" install of XP doesn't leave you with a boot menu, unless you
didn't really completely reformat the HD.

My suspicion is that you only reformatted one partition, leaving bits
of another OS on the HD.

To install XP truly "clean", you will have to delete ALL partitions on
the HD. This means that you will have to backup your data to a
different HD or to one or more DVDs or CDs.

You should never have to use fdisk or format from a version of Windows
9x (which includes 95, 98, 98SE, and ME).

Just boot using the XP installation disc instead of a Windows 9x
startup floppy. There will be options in the Installation program to
delete or create partitions, then format them before installing XP.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.