Problems with a Dimension 9100

I have had a Dimension 9100 for a few days now, and I am seeing some
problems. Two programs, which run without problems on a new Toshiba
laptop running the same OS (WinXP Pro SP2), cause the 9100 to crash.
One program is a photo processing program, Nikon Capture, and the
other syncs a Sony Clié (Palm) through the USB port. Neither is a
recent program, so incompatibilities with SP2 might be expected, but I
am seeing BSODs for two programs that run fine on another computer.
This doesn't seem right.

The 9100 has a dual core 3GHz Pentium D 830, 2 GB of ram, a 500 GB
hard drive and a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800 video card. Memtest86
runs without finding any ram problems.

I like everything about this Dell (my fourth) except for these
problems, and at this point I think I may have to return it. The
problem is, without knowing what might be causing these system
crashes, I don't know what to get to replace it.

I haven't called Dell yet, but I would be interested in any comments.
Richard

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:16:43 -0700, Richard S
<richard-no-spam@rhspencer.com> wrote:

>I have had a Dimension 9100 for a few days now, and I am seeing some
>problems. Two programs, which run without problems on a new Toshiba
>laptop running the same OS (WinXP Pro SP2), cause the 9100 to crash.
>One program is a photo processing program, Nikon Capture, and the
>other syncs a Sony Clié (Palm) through the USB port. Neither is a
>recent program, so incompatibilities with SP2 might be expected, but I
>am seeing BSODs for two programs that run fine on another computer.
>This doesn't seem right.
>
>The 9100 has a dual core 3GHz Pentium D 830, 2 GB of ram, a 500 GB
>hard drive and a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800 video card. Memtest86
>runs without finding any ram problems.
>
>I like everything about this Dell (my fourth) except for these
>problems, and at this point I think I may have to return it. The
>problem is, without knowing what might be causing these system
>crashes, I don't know what to get to replace it.
>
>I haven't called Dell yet, but I would be interested in any comments.
>Richard

This story has a happy ending.

A restart after a system crash generated a report to Microsoft, using
their online reporting system. Microsoft responded with an "Online
Crash Analysis", giving me the URL for an updated driver from Pace
Anti-Piracy Inc. Downloading and installing the updated driver
appears to have solved the problem.

I'm not too impressed with encountering this problem on a new system.
I think it probably resulted from software installed by Dell (but
maybe not?). I am impressed that Microsoft's system identified the
error and gave me the solution.

Richard

"RichardS" <richard@rhspencer.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:16:43 -0700, Richard S
> <richard-no-spam@rhspencer.com> wrote:
>
>>I have had a Dimension 9100 for a few days now, and I am seeing some
>>problems. Two programs, which run without problems on a new Toshiba
>>laptop running the same OS (WinXP Pro SP2), cause the 9100 to crash.
>>One program is a photo processing program, Nikon Capture, and the
>>other syncs a Sony Clié (Palm) through the USB port. Neither is a
>>recent program, so incompatibilities with SP2 might be expected, but I
>>am seeing BSODs for two programs that run fine on another computer.
>>This doesn't seem right.
>>
>>The 9100 has a dual core 3GHz Pentium D 830, 2 GB of ram, a 500 GB
>>hard drive and a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800 video card. Memtest86
>>runs without finding any ram problems.
>>
>>I like everything about this Dell (my fourth) except for these
>>problems, and at this point I think I may have to return it. The
>>problem is, without knowing what might be causing these system
>>crashes, I don't know what to get to replace it.
>>
>>I haven't called Dell yet, but I would be interested in any comments.
>>Richard
>
> This story has a happy ending.
>
> A restart after a system crash generated a report to Microsoft, using
> their online reporting system. Microsoft responded with an "Online
> Crash Analysis", giving me the URL for an updated driver from Pace
> Anti-Piracy Inc. Downloading and installing the updated driver
> appears to have solved the problem.
>
> I'm not too impressed with encountering this problem on a new system.
> I think it probably resulted from software installed by Dell (but
> maybe not?). I am impressed that Microsoft's system identified the
> error and gave me the solution.
>
> Richard

I don't see anything any that says it would have come on your Dell. It
looks to be installed with applications that use it to prevent copying.
What have you installed on the machine?

Tom

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:55:03 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>> This story has a happy ending.
>>
>> A restart after a system crash generated a report to Microsoft, using
>> their online reporting system. Microsoft responded with an "Online
>> Crash Analysis", giving me the URL for an updated driver from Pace
>> Anti-Piracy Inc. Downloading and installing the updated driver
>> appears to have solved the problem.
>>
>> I'm not too impressed with encountering this problem on a new system.
>> I think it probably resulted from software installed by Dell (but
>> maybe not?). I am impressed that Microsoft's system identified the
>> error and gave me the solution.
>>
>> Richard
>
>I don't see anything any that says it would have come on your Dell. It
>looks to be installed with applications that use it to prevent copying.
>What have you installed on the machine?
>
>Tom

I didn't knowingly install Pace Anti-Piracy software. And as I said
above, I don't know whether or not Dell installed it. There was quite
a lot of Dell installed software, including Word Perfect and a bunch
of other stuff I don't want or need, including Norton Anti-Virus,
which I removed.

Before I encountered the problem, I installed AVG Anti-virus,
Microsoft Office and Skype. The anti-piracy software could have been
installed with one of these (not likely to be AVG or Skype, which are
free), or with Nikon Capture, the program that first caused the
problem. However, I have also installed each of these on my laptop,
and they each run without any problems under WinXP SP2.

At this point I am just pleased the problem is solved. I can now enjoy
(and get some work done on) my new Dell.

Richard

"Richard S" <richard-no-spam@rhspencer.com> wrote in message
>I have had a Dimension 9100 for a few days now, and I am seeing some
> problems. Two programs, which run without problems on a new Toshiba
> laptop running the same OS (WinXP Pro SP2), cause the 9100 to crash.
> One program is a photo processing program, Nikon Capture, and the
> other syncs a Sony Clié (Palm) through the USB port. Neither is a
> recent program, so incompatibilities with SP2 might be expected, but I
> am seeing BSODs for two programs that run fine on another computer.
> This doesn't seem right.
>
> The 9100 has a dual core 3GHz Pentium D 830, 2 GB of ram, a 500 GB
> hard drive and a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800 video card. Memtest86
> runs without finding any ram problems.
>
> I like everything about this Dell (my fourth) except for these
> problems, and at this point I think I may have to return it. The
> problem is, without knowing what might be causing these system
> crashes, I don't know what to get to replace it.
>
> I haven't called Dell yet, but I would be interested in any comments.
> Richard

The Dell 9100 utilises brand new technology; you're effectively being used
as a guinea-pig by Intel to test their technology for them (and paying for
the privilege).

You'll encounter problems; by moaning about them, you're doing Intel's
spadework for them.

"Richard S" <richard-no-spam@rhspencer.com> wrote in message
>I have had a Dimension 9100 for a few days now, and I am seeing some
> problems. Two programs, which run without problems on a new Toshiba
> laptop running the same OS (WinXP Pro SP2), cause the 9100 to crash.
> One program is a photo processing program, Nikon Capture, and the
> other syncs a Sony Clié (Palm) through the USB port. Neither is a
> recent program, so incompatibilities with SP2 might be expected, but I
> am seeing BSODs for two programs that run fine on another computer.
> This doesn't seem right.
>
> The 9100 has a dual core 3GHz Pentium D 830, 2 GB of ram, a 500 GB
> hard drive and a 256 MB nVidia GeForce 6800 video card. Memtest86
> runs without finding any ram problems.
>
> I like everything about this Dell (my fourth) except for these
> problems, and at this point I think I may have to return it. The
> problem is, without knowing what might be causing these system
> crashes, I don't know what to get to replace it.
>
> I haven't called Dell yet, but I would be interested in any comments.
> Richard

I have roughly the same system (except XP home SP2, ATI Radion X300), and
have not had any problems like you found. I sync to a Palm Tungsten E
through the USB port using the standard software from Palm (not sure if Sony
uses that or their own). I have had virtually no problems whatsoever. I
beat on it pretty well for about a month now. (The dual cores are great. I
used to run my software tests in 5 hours on P4 2.4G. They run in parallel
in less than 2 hours on PD 3G.)

One big difference between our systems is the video drivers. I suspect you
have the latest, but you might check to see if there has been an update.

Peter

> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:55:03 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> This story has a happy ending.
>>>
>>> A restart after a system crash generated a report to Microsoft, using
>>> their online reporting system. Microsoft responded with an "Online
>>> Crash Analysis", giving me the URL for an updated driver from Pace
>>> Anti-Piracy Inc. Downloading and installing the updated driver
>>> appears to have solved the problem.
>>>
>>> I'm not too impressed with encountering this problem on a new system.
>>> I think it probably resulted from software installed by Dell (but
>>> maybe not?). I am impressed that Microsoft's system identified the
>>> error and gave me the solution.
>>>
>>> Richard
>>
>>I don't see anything any that says it would have come on your Dell. It
>>looks to be installed with applications that use it to prevent copying.
>>What have you installed on the machine?
>>
>>Tom
>>
> I didn't knowingly install Pace Anti-Piracy software. And as I said
> above, I don't know whether or not Dell installed it. There was quite
> a lot of Dell installed software, including Word Perfect and a bunch
> of other stuff I don't want or need, including Norton Anti-Virus,
> which I removed.
>
> Before I encountered the problem, I installed AVG Anti-virus,
> Microsoft Office and Skype. The anti-piracy software could have been
> installed with one of these (not likely to be AVG or Skype, which are
> free), or with Nikon Capture, the program that first caused the
> problem. However, I have also installed each of these on my laptop,
> and they each run without any problems under WinXP SP2.
>
> At this point I am just pleased the problem is solved. I can now enjoy
> (and get some work done on) my new Dell.
>
> Richard

I'd bet on Capture and I'd bet the problem was that Pace couldn't haven't a
Dual core processor. Capture is very flaky. I run it for my D2X.

Tom

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 22:56:00 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>I'd bet on Capture and I'd bet the problem was that Pace couldn't haven't a
>Dual core processor. Capture is very flaky. I run it for my D2X.
>
>Tom

You may well be right. Nikon have at least three different versions
of Capture for different regions (US, Canada and Asia), and updates
have to be downloaded from the right region to run, which is a real
pain. Presumably all this complication is to stop piracy, so they
could well be using Pace anit-piracy software.

Richard.