Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I am currently looking to buy a new pc i would like to use it for gaming on games such as flight simutaor so a pretty powerful one would help

My system specs are currently

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40Ghz
4 GB RAM
1gb ATI Radeon HD 4600
o/s Windows Ultimate 32 bit

Windows 7 ratings are.....

Processor 7.1
memory RAM 7.1
Graphics 6.7
primary hard disk 5.7

How much do you think i would i have to spend to make it worth my whilst in buying a new computer?

The reason i ask i dont want to spend 1200pound on a computer thats not going to be that "much" better.

JoshWS

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
You could get a new PC for £1200 that could easily blow you away in comparison to the one you have now. To get the one you have now upto a high standard you would need a new CPU,Motherboard,Graphics Card,RAM and an OS and possibly a new HDD and Disk drive. So if you were to upgrade the only thing you could keep might be the case and the fans - In my opinion its just as easier to upgrade.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
appreciate that mate......... how much do you think it will cost to upgrade my PC lets say to a £1000-£1200 computer shop price ....... is this possible?

Add some RAM. Total 8 GB? This will show an immediate improvement in performance. Just make sure that the RAM you add is compatible with the RAM you already have. Or, replace all slots with matched new RAM. After this, decide which way you want to go.

You don't need to upgrade your system except maybe the video card. Don't think a CPU upgrade will make anything run faster enough that you'd notice. Since when is a quad core CPU out-dated? I run a dual-core with a several yr old video card, pretty much all games can be maxed out or close enough that it does not matter.

As long as your power supply can run it, get something like a Radeon 6950, will be a much bigger boost to speeds than a RAM or CPU upgrade.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

did you say something about a q6600 not being out dated?
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=288

Sower than something and outdated are different things. That CPU will run anything out now, in fact, any fast dual-core and up CPU will run anything a normal user would want it to. A P3 now is out-dated, a P4 marginally so, as you can do many many things with a P4, including gaming. I've rebuilt P4 machines that people have said run better than their dual-cores.

Fast CPUs are like fast video cards, fluff, unless your job is to render or calculate things very fast over a long period of time.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

ill take a core i7 2600k and you take a q6600 and we build identical systems except the board and cpu and ill come out on top overall. why invest in old tech and a q6600 will run anything out there but thats like saying any truck can haul something. yeah a q6600 will play everything but it will not do it as efficiently nor as fast as a core i series cpu.