Question about new PC

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I posted this in the Other Software section, but but got no replies for over a week.

Anyway, I am building a new computer and was wondering whether or not to put Norton System Works on it. I have an extra copy lying around. Should I just install AntiVirus? Should I go with another company?

I have just read a few comments about how people were annoyed when System Works was installed on the computers that they built for people. What exactly was the problem? Did it just make it slower from tying up memory? Or did it cause more serious problems? I have it installed on my computer and nothing runs in the background except for Antivirus. I haven't had any problems with it and it has fixed many problems in the past with Win98se.

I would just like to know if it is worth having with Win XP. Thanks for any advice.

The system I am building:
Leadtek K7NCR18D-Pro
Athlon XP 2000+ retail
512MB RAM CAS2/CL2
WinXP Home
etc. etc. (It isn't important to the question)

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well, if you feel you need it, you might as well install it. More importantly though, if you're on a cable/dsl line, you should definately look into a firewall, like Zonealarm (which is good and free). I never had any problems with systemworks, but I usually don't deal with viruses. Just make sure you don't open bad emails, attachments, ect. Otherwise, you don't have anything to worry about

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I haven't had a virus for over 5 years myself. (maybe longer, but I am unsure). I work as computer support in my office though and it seems like with every big virus that comes along (I love you) at least one person still opens it. They think it might be a virus, but their curiosity gets the better of them. Anyway, since this computer is not for me, Antivirus software is a must.

My question dealt mainly with the other aspects of Norton System Works though. I have no problem with Norton Antivirus, but what about Norton Utilities, and Cleansweep? Are they only troublesome when running in the background using up memory? Or have there been other issues with them?

I think that I will just install it with nothing running in the background unless someone can give me a good reason not to. I just had this question because I read 3 or 4 posts in the past with complaints about System Works. None of them were specific though. I wanted to know what exactly was wrong with. I was just suspecting that it might have only been that with a typical install, it has everything loaded and running in the background and that can't improve system performance even if it still runs stable. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I run system works on my system right now. I don't find it as useful as I used to on Win 98 and I won't purchase it again. The big thing with system works is it sometimes displays errors that really aren't. On my system it reported an error and recommended that I run Win Doctor. It could not fix the error but when I researched it further it was just because the file that was supposedly missing was in a different windows folder. I found the answer on Symantec's site. So if you do instal it make sure that the user checks "unfixable errors" on Symantec's site. It may save them alot of headaches.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>