Microsoft Games

Last response: in Video Games
June 5, 2004 2:32:58 PM

Anyone notice how their Microsoft games aren't working?
I have about a dozen Microsoft games, none of which work.
I've recently updated my video drivers and I've recently
installed Microsoft Works. I would like to add that my
PC is only one month old. Until I installed Works, these
games all worked.
Anyone having the same trouble? or does anyone know what
should be done. I think it's some cross-compatability
issue and that a patch should be released because until
someone tells me how to solve this problem, I can't play
any Microsoft Games.

Thanks.

Mike

More about : microsoft games

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 6:39:13 PM

You don't say what games have stopped working. Are you having trouble with
the games that come with Windows XP, or seperate games installed from a CD?
Did you try running the games betwen installing the new video driver and
installing Microsoft Works? Are you getting an error popup (what does it
say), games exiting to the desktop or Windows XP rebooting? Can you play the
sample videos useing Microsoft Media Player?

You could try:
* Reinstalling DirectX.9.0b. Chek Microsoft's support site for a download.
* Useing a Windows XP restore point.
* Temporarily switching to a generic VGA display driver, uninstalling your
video adaptor driver and THEN reinstalling the new driver. Some video driver
updates don't work properly unless the earlier version is uninstalled first.
Sometimes DirectX needs to restablish its links, as part of reinstallation,
after the video driver has been updated.

"Mike Kirshenbaum" <lerxs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone notice how their Microsoft games aren't working?
> I have about a dozen Microsoft games, none of which work.
> I've recently updated my video drivers and I've recently
> installed Microsoft Works. I would like to add that my
> PC is only one month old. Until I installed Works, these
> games all worked.
> Anyone having the same trouble? or does anyone know what
> should be done. I think it's some cross-compatability
> issue and that a patch should be released because until
> someone tells me how to solve this problem, I can't play
> any Microsoft Games.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike
June 9, 2004 1:30:01 AM

Thanks for your reply. the games that currently aren't working are Microsoft games, Age of empires, Mythology, Rise of Nations (the expansion pack only), age of empires 2, freelancer, mechwarrior...flight simulator. Also Sierra's Swat 3 doesn't work either. I've got direct x 9.0b. when I try to do a restore, the computer doesn't let me restore.
I'm afraid about reinstalling the video drivers because when I go to the site (Nvidia) and try to download their latest drivers it says the drivers I'm trying to download are older than the ones I have currently. Presumably that's okay because at least I know they work, but I'm leary of doing this.

thanks for your assistance.

Michael

--
Mike