Support for large disks on Hp Vectra p3 733

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dear all,

What's the largest hard disk size that is supported by the HP Vectra P3 733
computer?

Thanx in advance....

Given the age of the computer, the system BIOS most certainly supports up to
32GB. Whether or not it supports up to 132GB, the next BIOS increment, is a
good question which HP support documents does not answer. If a large drive is a
consideration, the only possibility is trail-and-error. Maybe someone else has
tried already... Ben Myers

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:59:18 +0200, "Wim" <sjdflj@lksjdf.nl> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>What's the largest hard disk size that is supported by the HP Vectra P3 733
>computer?
>
>Thanx in advance....

wim

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanx Ben for this.
The pc supports a 160GB disk, that's what the seller told me last night.
Today I bought the pc from him (without his 160GB disk), it will arrive next
week. I will put a new 160GB disk in it, I don't dare to try a bigger one:)
What's with the 132GB you mentioned? Is that a magic border?
Which brings me to the second question: what happens if I put TWO 160GB
disks in the system (given the mainboard and bios fully see the 160GB).
Would the pc count that for 320GB and then maybe NOT be able to address it,
or does the pc simply see it as two 160GB disks which it will be able to
address without a problem?

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> schreef in bericht
> Given the age of the computer, the system BIOS most certainly supports up
> 32GB. Whether or not it supports up to 132GB, the next BIOS increment, is
> good question which HP support documents does not answer. If a large
drive is a
> consideration, the only possibility is trail-and-error. Maybe someone
else has
> tried already... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:59:18 +0200, "Wim" <sjdflj@lksjdf.nl> wrote:
>
> >Dear all,
> >
> >What's the largest hard disk size that is supported by the HP Vectra P3
733
> >computer?
> >
> >Thanx in advance....

132GB is yet another magic border imposed by some motherboard BIOSes. In that
respect, it is just like 528MB, 2.1GB, 8.4GB, and 32GB, all limits which came
about because the people who designed and programmed motherboard BIOSes were
especially short-sighted.

No problem with 2 or more 160GB drives. The BIOS treats them independently of
one another. So do most operating systems... Ben Myers