Uncheck & recheck "Enable CD recording on this drive" box ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello!

How come I cannot erase my CD-RWs that burnt files on them without going
to CD-RW Properties (N:)'s Recording tab, unchecking "Enable CD
recording on this drive", pressing OK button, and repeating the steps to
check the box to re-enable it? After erasing my CD-RWs successfully, I
notice the free space size is wrong. I had seen 200 MB free, 38 MB free,
etc. out of 650 MB and 700 MB capacities. If I repeat the step above, I
lose the ability to erase CD-RW (I guess XP knows I already did it?),
but the free disk space is correct. And yes, I tried F5 key to refresh
Explorer which didn't help.

Is there a bug in Windows XP's Explorer CD burner? I have no problems
with Adaptec Easy CD Creator v4.5.0.409 and Nero v5.5.7.2 in erasing
CD-RWs and burning files. I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 (all
updates; NTFS partitions). My CD burner is an old Plextor PX-W1210
PlexWriter (12/10/32A; IDE). You can see my detailed system setup on
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary computer).

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"What, like I had to live with all those ants? Do you know what I did to
those ants? HoooHooo! No more ants!" --unknown
| |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (down again)
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
More about uncheck recheck enable recording drive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Windows XP knows nothing of ReWritable CD's, the effects you see are a
    side effect. Please "erase" the CD-RW with the utility provided in
    Adaptec or Nero.

    Ant wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > How come I cannot erase my CD-RWs that burnt files on them without going
    > to CD-RW Properties (N:)'s Recording tab, unchecking "Enable CD
    > recording on this drive", pressing OK button, and repeating the steps to
    > check the box to re-enable it? After erasing my CD-RWs successfully, I
    > notice the free space size is wrong. I had seen 200 MB free, 38 MB free,
    > etc. out of 650 MB and 700 MB capacities. If I repeat the step above, I
    > lose the ability to erase CD-RW (I guess XP knows I already did it?),
    > but the free disk space is correct. And yes, I tried F5 key to refresh
    > Explorer which didn't help.
    >
    > Is there a bug in Windows XP's Explorer CD burner? I have no problems
    > with Adaptec Easy CD Creator v4.5.0.409 and Nero v5.5.7.2 in erasing
    > CD-RWs and burning files. I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 (all
    > updates; NTFS partitions). My CD burner is an old Plextor PX-W1210
    > PlexWriter (12/10/32A; IDE). You can see my detailed system setup on
    > http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
    > computer).
    >
    > Thank you in advance. :)
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Really? How come sometimes XP says Erase CD-RW?

    --
    "As I watch the busy ants on the trail and around the ant pile, I am
    impressed by the fact that they are doers and not just believers." --CR 1967
    | |o o| | and http://aqfl.net (down again)
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Provided by the 3rd party utility.

    Ant wrote:

    > Really? How come sometimes XP says Erase CD-RW?
    >

    > On 8/3/2005 7:24 AM PT, Bob I wrote:
    >
    >> Windows XP knows nothing of ReWritable CD's, the effects you see are a
    >> side effect. Please "erase" the CD-RW with the utility provided in
    >> Adaptec or Nero.
    >>
    >> Ant wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello!
    >>>
    >>> How come I cannot erase my CD-RWs that burnt files on them without
    >>> going to CD-RW Properties (N:)'s Recording tab, unchecking "Enable CD
    >>> recording on this drive", pressing OK button, and repeating the steps
    >>> to check the box to re-enable it? After erasing my CD-RWs
    >>> successfully, I notice the free space size is wrong. I had seen 200
    >>> MB free, 38 MB free, etc. out of 650 MB and 700 MB capacities. If I
    >>> repeat the step above, I lose the ability to erase CD-RW (I guess XP
    >>> knows I already did it?), but the free disk space is correct. And
    >>> yes, I tried F5 key to refresh Explorer which didn't help.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a bug in Windows XP's Explorer CD burner? I have no problems
    >>> with Adaptec Easy CD Creator v4.5.0.409 and Nero v5.5.7.2 in erasing
    >>> CD-RWs and burning files. I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 (all
    >>> updates; NTFS partitions). My CD burner is an old Plextor PX-W1210
    >>> PlexWriter (12/10/32A; IDE). You can see my detailed system setup on
    >>> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/computers.txt (primary
    >>> computer).
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance. :)

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP