Solved

My printer says paper is jammed when it isnt

Tags:
  • Pixma
  • Printers
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 6, 2009 2:19:22 AM

I have a cannon pixma ip3600 printer, lately it has been saying there is paper jammed inside of it but i have checked it and i cant find any, i have tried reinstalling it but with no luck. It wont even show me the print head so i cant replace my empty ink cartridges!!! any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.s i have searched for an answer but have not been able to find one that works.

More about : printer paper jammed isnt

September 13, 2009 5:20:14 PM

Are you sure there isn't a piece of paper lodged in there someplace? The sensor seems to detect something with the message on for some reason.
m
l
September 13, 2009 9:34:21 PM

i am ure there is no obviouse peices logged in there
m
l
Related resources
September 13, 2009 10:05:46 PM

Oh sorry, then. I bet you are annoyed when that is suggested, huh?

I am not sure then what you can do. Does the printer have a reset button? If so, maybe try pressing it before you print something.

Other than that idea, I found a link that you might try:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Printer-mechanical-problems-...

Edit: 'Just found this idea: turn the printer upside down and shake it.... other ideas are mentioned:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t119769-false_paper_jam_wa...

Good luck.
m
l
September 13, 2009 10:38:48 PM

nah im not annoyed any suggestion is helpful thanks for finding those links for me, sadly my printer doesn't have a reset button but it would be helpful if it did :) 
i will try and find that sensor, it could be stuck which makes it say there is paper jammed when there isn't so i might just open her up and take a look, and ill also see if there is anything obvious that is causing the problem.
m
l
September 15, 2009 2:44:19 AM

Try blowing it out with a can of duster. There is likely dust or a small piece of paper lodged in there.
m
l
September 16, 2009 1:32:25 AM

Thanks for all of the help everyone sadly i have not been able to rectify the problem guess its time to take it back to the store , thanks again :) 
m
l
June 20, 2012 2:32:57 PM

smithinator101 said:
I have a cannon pixma ip3600 printer, lately it has been saying there is paper jammed inside of it but i have checked it and i cant find any, i have tried reinstalling it but with no luck. It wont even show me the print head so i cant replace my empty ink cartridges!!! any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.s i have searched for an answer but have not been able to find one that works.

I have a Canon PIXMA MP450. I had this problem off and on for several weeks. I have tried all of the usual suggestions; sometimes they worked, other times they did not. I had about decided that the paper sensor had gone bad and that I would have to replace my printer. But... spent about an hour looking for a solution this morning. Here is what I did that worked.
1. Go to your Computer Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Devices and Printers
2. Select your Printer Device
3. Under Printer Management, select Display Printer Properties
4. Select Maintenance
5. Select Roller Cleaning
6. Follow Prompts

Good Luck!
m
l
Anonymous
August 22, 2012 7:24:40 PM

The shaking didn't work for me .

Here's what worked . Did the 'clean the bottom plate' . Even if it showed the same error several , the roll is forced to move , and therefore forced to be cleaned. Do this bottom plate cleaning from the menu for about 7-10 times.

Cheers :bounce: 
m
l
June 4, 2016 6:15:02 PM

Anonymous said:
The shaking didn't work for me .

Here's what worked . Did the 'clean the bottom plate' . Even if it showed the same error several , the roll is forced to move , and therefore forced to be cleaned. Do this bottom plate cleaning from the menu for about 7-10 times.

Cheers :bounce: 

m
l
June 4, 2016 6:17:40 PM

OMG, thank you SOOOO much, i had bought another set of ink (41eur) an all thinking it was cause my ink was low that the paper wouldnt roll thru... I've been thru hell this wk trying to get it woking... Then i read your post, done what u said, after the 2nd time, the paper rolled thru, and a 5c piece was on the output tray (thats what was the prob)..... 2minutes and u fixed it for me ... if i knew u i'd pay u.. lifesaver.. frm dublin
m
l
June 28, 2016 7:26:37 PM

I too had the "My printer says paper is jammed when it isn't" problem with my Cannon Pixma MG2920.
Worked fine last night, turned on today, got the annoying error message.
I looked and LOOKED with flashlight in both ends for a sheet of paper or piece of paper couldn't see ANYTHING.
Finally I unplugged, took out the ink cartridges, turned upside down, and shook THE HECK out of the printer pausing to look inside again.
After the third time I finally saw a 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch by 3 inch corner of a torn sheet of paper while looking through the rear of hte printer where the paper goes in.
I had to keep the printer turned upside down and use a steak knife to slowly pull the piece of paper downward enough so I could grab it with a pair a tweezers (not a lot of room for fingers in there.)
As I thought back it wa about TWO weeks ago that I did have a jam and the piece of paper I pulled out had the missing corner. I looked then but couldn't find it, and the printer worked fine for the couple of weeks.
I suppose it took that long for that tiny piece of paper to get in JUST the right place to set off the sensor.
Thank you to those who made suggestions before me, my solution was a combination of all those ideas posted before mine.
Hope this post helps someone else in need.
m
l
August 15, 2016 12:13:09 PM

[Can you please explain to me how you were able to do this. I am experiencing the same issue.

Thanks you
m
l
September 22, 2016 1:06:57 PM

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have a Canon Pixma 1P100. Here's what (bizarrely) worked for me. I tried Minijudith's suggestion to clean the rollers, and Anonymous's to clean the bottom plates, but the orange light kept blinking, the paper jam message continued to appear, and the printer wouldn't roll paper through to perform those procedures. I was about ready to try PerfectDuster. I opened the machine as I do to change cartridges. They came to the center, and I lifted out, and then put back, first the colour cartidge and then the black one. When I then closed the cover, the orange light had gone off, and I was able to print. Who knows why? I did then roller clean afterwards, just for good measure.
m
l