Jan 4, 2003
My Compaq puter (Model # 7947) has the following specs.:

-600 MHz Athlon CPU
-128 SDRAM
-TNT2 Ultra G card
-Microsoft Windows 98
-30 Gig HardDrive
-128 bit SoundCard

I want to upgrade my system into a killer gaming machine, any suggestions? Would upgrading just the graphics card into a readeon 9600 Plus pro deluxe (Whatever its called) give me fast framerates? Would Upgrading to a 1000 MHz CPU improve lots? One more ques., how dose the TNT2 Ultra compare to the readeon?

-Thanks Guys

toss5000

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
If you want a killer gaming machine, IMO you should build one from scratch. You would need to upgrade your ram, cpu, and video card. If you swapped the TNT with a new radeon, you would only notice a minor improvement. Your ram and cpu could not keep up with that card. Definatley do some research and build yourself a new rig...if your short on cash save up for a while, you want your machine to rock.

- - - -
Kill a man and you're a murderer;
Kill many and you're a conquerer;
Kill 'em all and you're a god.

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
just a guess, but I don't think your computer will have an AGP slot since it is made by compaq, I could be wrong, but you would want to check that if you decide to stick with just an upgrade.

I would agree with the above post and say it is probably best to build a new rig.

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You remember the original Radeon DDR? Now it's a little faster and called the Radeon 7500. Anyway, you can find them for around $50 if you look long and hard, and your game will improve by about 150%. If your card is a TNT2 Vanta or M64, your game will improve by about 300%.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get a Radeon 9000 (non-Pro) and more ram.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>

aledul

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it.
If i decide to go with an upgrade, how much should i upgrade? How much MHz and Ram (also what kind)?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Your CPU will not be able to extract full performance from a top-end graphics card (like GF4 Ti or ATI Radeon 9700/9500 series).

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>