Keyboard driver

I have set up my Inspiron 8000 and it is nicely networked and with its
own internet connection.

I have installed bootitng for multi booting. DOS 6.22 is installed in
the first partition and XP in the second.

The difficulty is that XP doesn't provide a keyboard driver to match
the keys. There is no trace of the "@" sign in XP. In DOS there is no
trace of the backslash. These are essential keys.

Does anyone know of an appropriate driver?

Colin

> The difficulty is that XP doesn't provide a keyboard driver to match
> the keys. There is no trace of the "@" sign in XP. In DOS there is no
> trace of the backslash. These are essential keys.
> Does anyone know of an appropriate driver?

IIRC you need to set the "codepage" in the autoexec.bat or config.sys
(there will almost certainly be an equivalent way of setting it
somewhere in XP i`d guess, as its not "supposed" to be a DOS based
system)

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:01:04 +0100, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>> The difficulty is that XP doesn't provide a keyboard driver to match
>> the keys. There is no trace of the "@" sign in XP. In DOS there is no
>> trace of the backslash. These are essential keys.
>> Does anyone know of an appropriate driver?
>
>IIRC you need to set the "codepage" in the autoexec.bat or config.sys
>(there will almost certainly be an equivalent way of setting it
>somewhere in XP i`d guess, as its not "supposed" to be a DOS based
>system)

The laptop was bought in Australia by my son. I've only just
realiased that there is no £ sign on the keyboard. If I scrap the UK
driver and use the US one it's nearly right but I'd like to have the £
symbol available.

Any suggestions?

Best wishes

Colin

> The laptop was bought in Australia by my son. I've only just
> realiased that there is no £ sign on the keyboard. If I scrap the UK
> driver and use the US one it's nearly right but I'd like to have the £
> symbol available.

Isn`t there a built-in keyboard mapping for the UK ? (ok, you`ll have
the wrong key caps, but if you know where it is...)

--

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:27:16 +0100, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>> The laptop was bought in Australia by my son. I've only just
>> realiased that there is no £ sign on the keyboard. If I scrap the UK
>> driver and use the US one it's nearly right but I'd like to have the £
>> symbol available.
>
>Isn`t there a built-in keyboard mapping for the UK ? (ok, you`ll have
>the wrong key caps, but if you know where it is...)

I know what you mean and it would have been the answer. When I tried
the UK code I went over all the likely keys to see if the symbol was
covered, but it wasn't. Of course, I might have made a mistake. In DOS
I could try all the old code page commands.

Colin

Colin Bearfield wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:27:16 +0100, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>

>>>The laptop was bought in Australia by my son. I've only just
>>>realiased that there is no £ sign on the keyboard. If I scrap the UK
>>>driver and use the US one it's nearly right but I'd like to have the £
>>>symbol available.
>>
>>Isn`t there a built-in keyboard mapping for the UK ? (ok, you`ll have
>>the wrong key caps, but if you know where it is...)
>

> I know what you mean and it would have been the answer. When I tried
> the UK code I went over all the likely keys to see if the symbol was
> covered, but it wasn't. Of course, I might have made a mistake. In DOS
> I could try all the old code page commands.

Can't you look it up on Windows' Character Map?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:37:52 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
<Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:

>Colin Bearfield wrote:

>>>Isn`t there a built-in keyboard mapping for the UK ? (ok, you`ll have
>>>the wrong key caps, but if you know where it is...)
>>

>> I know what you mean and it would have been the answer. When I tried
>> the UK code I went over all the likely keys to see if the symbol was
>> covered, but it wasn't. Of course, I might have made a mistake. In DOS
>> I could try all the old code page commands.
>
>Can't you look it up on Windows' Character Map?

It works a treat in Wordpad. Many thanks. I'd almost forgotten the
code. I come from a generation that had to write its own printer
drivers.

best wishes

Colin

Colin Bearfield wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:37:52 -0400, Sparky Spartacus
> <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:
>

>>Colin Bearfield wrote:

>>>I know what you mean and it would have been the answer. When I tried
>>>the UK code I went over all the likely keys to see if the symbol was
>>>covered, but it wasn't. Of course, I might have made a mistake. In DOS
>>>I could try all the old code page commands.
>>
>>Can't you look it up on Windows' Character Map?
>

> It works a treat in Wordpad. Many thanks.

Don't mention it.

> I'd almost forgotten the code. I come from a generation that had to write its own printer
> drivers.

Another old fogey!

:)

Sparky Spartacus wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Another old fogey!
>
> :)

As a member of the older crowd, we really prefer
"young fogeys" or "young codgers."

Thanks! <g>

Notan

Notan wrote:

> Sparky Spartacus wrote:
>
>><snip>
>>
>>Another old fogey!
>>
>>:)
>

> As a member of the older crowd, we really prefer
> "young fogeys" or "young codgers."

A cranky old fogey!

> Thanks! <g>

Anytime! <g>