Suggestion: View fonts in explorer thumbnails like images.

August 3, 2005 6:17:01 AM

Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had to make
a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really difficult as Windows
only offers a small program to view a sample. I had to go through the fonts
one by one, opening and closing a window and cut and pasting. Which of course
took me some hours.
This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal with
images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones I want and
cut-paste.

So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font Sample" tab
in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify sample Text and Size,
so that explorer can make a sample image to offer as a thumbnail for each
font file.
August 3, 2005 10:29:47 AM

Kingherc wrote:

> Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had
> to make a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really
> difficult as Windows only offers a small program to view a sample. I
> had to go through the fonts one by one, opening and closing a window
> and cut and pasting. Which of course took me some hours.
> This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal
> with images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones
> I want and cut-paste.
>
> So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
> possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font
> Sample" tab in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify
> sample Text and Size, so that explorer can make a sample image to
> offer as a thumbnail for each font file.

Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke wrote:

> Kingherc wrote:
>

>>Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had
>>to make a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really
>>difficult as Windows only offers a small program to view a sample. I
>>had to go through the fonts one by one, opening and closing a window
>>and cut and pasting. Which of course took me some hours.
>>This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal
>>with images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones
>>I want and cut-paste.
>>
>>So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
>>possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font
>>Sample" tab in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify
>>sample Text and Size, so that explorer can make a sample image to
>>offer as a thumbnail for each font file.
>

> Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
>
> Malke

Malke, FYI that article isn't available at the moment. Been coming up
that way for a few weeks now.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke: The Wish page was pulled by MS a few weeks ago.

Tom

"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message |
| Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
|
| Malke
| --
| Elephant Boy Computers
| www.elephantboycomputers.com
| "Don't Panic!"
| MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:31:01 PM

Vista is in beta. MS doesn't need any more ideas. They have to make what
they have now work. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o 67FWzDmFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Tom Pepper Willett <tompepper@mvps.invalid> hunted and pecked:
> Malke: The Wish page was pulled by MS a few weeks ago.
>
> Tom
>
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message |
>> Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:35:00 PM

"Kingherc" <Kingherc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had to
> make
> a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really difficult as
> Windows
> only offers a small program to view a sample. I had to go through the
> fonts
> one by one, opening and closing a window and cut and pasting. Which of
> course
> took me some hours.
> This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal with
> images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones I want
> and
> cut-paste.
>
> So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
> possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font Sample"
> tab
> in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify sample Text and
> Size,
> so that explorer can make a sample image to offer as a thumbnail for each
> font file.

You may find Karen's free Font Explorer {
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp } useful.

Don
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:00:26 PM

Kingherc

Fonts are mostly valuable property.

Windows uses a cut down version of the Bitstream font viewer which Microsoft
has licensed. You can download a more advanced version from Bitstream
www.bitstream.com/

or buy the Thumbs Plus software from Cerious Software
www.cerious.com/

to view your fonts beautifully as thumbnails.

Given the intellectual property rights involved so I do not expect Microsoft
to include this facility for free in Vision

--
Uncle John
> Kingherc wrote:
>
>> Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had
>> to make a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really
>> difficult as Windows only offers a small program to view a sample. I
>> had to go through the fonts one by one, opening and closing a window
>> and cut and pasting. Which of course took me some hours.
>> This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal
>> with images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones
>> I want and cut-paste.
>>
>> So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
>> possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font
>> Sample" tab in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify
>> sample Text and Size, so that explorer can make a sample image to
>> offer as a thumbnail for each font file.
>
> Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
August 3, 2005 11:52:52 PM

Rock wrote:

>> Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
>>
>> Malke
>
> Malke, FYI that article isn't available at the moment. Been coming up
> that way for a few weeks now.

Thanks, Rock. I never would have known.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 3:50:35 AM

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:29:47 +0100, Malke wrote
(in article <e8Mqr9CmFHA.2860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>):

> Kingherc wrote:
>
>> Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had
>> to make a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really
>> difficult as Windows only offers a small program to view a sample. I
>> had to go through the fonts one by one, opening and closing a window
>> and cut and pasting. Which of course took me some hours.
>> This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal
>> with images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones
>> I want and cut-paste.
>>
>> So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
>> possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font
>> Sample" tab in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify
>> sample Text and Size, so that explorer can make a sample image to
>> offer as a thumbnail for each font file.
>
> Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
>
> Malke

Every time I see a request like this I sit here quietly smug thinking "Tiger
has that!" FontBook shows a list of font categories in the left pane (script,
serifs, sans-serifs, whimsical, handwritten, etc.) the fonts in each category
in the middle and a resizable sample in the right third. It's beautifully
simple and you can load and unload groups at will. I love it - I love the
fact that I can categorise my faces according to job or type; I don't have to
click on each one to view a preview. It's fantastic. To uninstall, you simply
drag the font (or group) out of the book.
August 4, 2005 3:50:36 AM

It's too bad no one really cares what you think isn't it? Tick
http://tinyurl.com/az88m
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
IFC

"Evadne Cake" <sarah.balfour@craigy34.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:29:47 +0100, Malke wrote
> (in article <e8Mqr9CmFHA.2860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>):
>
>> Kingherc wrote:
>>
>>> Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had
>>> to make a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really
>>> difficult as Windows only offers a small program to view a sample. I
>>> had to go through the fonts one by one, opening and closing a window
>>> and cut and pasting. Which of course took me some hours.
>>> This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal
>>> with images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones
>>> I want and cut-paste.
>>>
>>> So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
>>> possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font
>>> Sample" tab in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify
>>> sample Text and Size, so that explorer can make a sample image to
>>> offer as a thumbnail for each font file.
>>
>> Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
>>
>> Malke
>>

> Every time I see a request like this I sit here quietly smug thinking
> "Tiger
> has that!" FontBook shows a list of font categories in the left pane
> (script,
> serifs, sans-serifs, whimsical, handwritten, etc.) the fonts in each
> category
> in the middle and a resizable sample in the right third. It's beautifully
> simple and you can load and unload groups at will. I love it - I love the
> fact that I can categorise my faces according to job or type; I don't have
> click on each one to view a preview. It's fantastic. To uninstall, you
> simply
> drag the font (or group) out of the book.

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:30:35 PM

Evadne
...and so the snake offers the Poor Chap an Apple!

--
Uncle John
August 6, 2005 1:49:02 AM

Malke wrote:

> Rock wrote:
>

>>>Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
>>>
>>>Malke
>>
>>Malke, FYI that article isn't available at the moment. Been coming up
>>that way for a few weeks now.
>>

> Thanks, Rock. I never would have known.
>
> Malke

YW.