Suggestion: View fonts in explorer thumbnails like images.

Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had to make
a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really difficult as Windows
only offers a small program to view a sample. I had to go through the fonts
one by one, opening and closing a window and cut and pasting. Which of course
took me some hours.
This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal with
images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones I want and
cut-paste.

So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font Sample" tab
in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify sample Text and Size,
so that explorer can make a sample image to offer as a thumbnail for each
font file.
11 answers Last reply
More about suggestion view fonts explorer thumbnails images

    Kingherc wrote:

    > Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had
    > to make a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really
    > difficult as Windows only offers a small program to view a sample. I
    > had to go through the fonts one by one, opening and closing a window
    > and cut and pasting. Which of course took me some hours.
    > This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal
    > with images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones
    > I want and cut-paste.
    >
    > So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
    > possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font
    > Sample" tab in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify
    > sample Text and Size, so that explorer can make a sample image to
    > offer as a thumbnail for each font file.

    Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke wrote:

    > Kingherc wrote:
    >

    >>Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had
    >>to make a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really
    >>difficult as Windows only offers a small program to view a sample. I
    >>had to go through the fonts one by one, opening and closing a window
    >>and cut and pasting. Which of course took me some hours.
    >>This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal
    >>with images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones
    >>I want and cut-paste.
    >>
    >>So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
    >>possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font
    >>Sample" tab in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify
    >>sample Text and Size, so that explorer can make a sample image to
    >>offer as a thumbnail for each font file.
    >

    > Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
    >
    > Malke

    Malke, FYI that article isn't available at the moment. Been coming up
    that way for a few weeks now.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Malke: The Wish page was pulled by MS a few weeks ago.

    Tom

    "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message |
    | Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
    |
    | Malke
    | --
    | Elephant Boy Computers
    | www.elephantboycomputers.com
    | "Don't Panic!"
    | MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Vista is in beta. MS doesn't need any more ideas. They have to make what
    they have now work. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:O67FWzDmFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Tom Pepper Willett <tompepper@mvps.invalid> hunted and pecked:

    "Kingherc" <Kingherc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had to
    > make
    > a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really difficult as
    > Windows
    > only offers a small program to view a sample. I had to go through the
    > fonts
    > one by one, opening and closing a window and cut and pasting. Which of
    > course
    > took me some hours.
    > This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal with
    > images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones I want
    > and
    > cut-paste.
    >
    > So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
    > possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font Sample"
    > tab
    > in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify sample Text and
    > Size,
    > so that explorer can make a sample image to offer as a thumbnail for each
    > font file.

    You may find Karen's free Font Explorer {
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp } useful.

    Don

    Kingherc

    Fonts are mostly valuable property.

    Windows uses a cut down version of the Bitstream font viewer which Microsoft
    has licensed. You can download a more advanced version from Bitstream
    www.bitstream.com/

    or buy the Thumbs Plus software from Cerious Software
    www.cerious.com/

    to view your fonts beautifully as thumbnails.

    Given the intellectual property rights involved so I do not expect Microsoft
    to include this facility for free in Vision

    --
    Uncle John

    Rock wrote:

    >> Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
    >>
    >> Malke
    >
    > Malke, FYI that article isn't available at the moment. Been coming up
    > that way for a few weeks now.

    Thanks, Rock. I never would have known.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:29:47 +0100, Malke wrote
    (in article <e8Mqr9CmFHA.2860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>):

    > Kingherc wrote:
    >
    >> Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had
    >> to make a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really
    >> difficult as Windows only offers a small program to view a sample. I
    >> had to go through the fonts one by one, opening and closing a window
    >> and cut and pasting. Which of course took me some hours.
    >> This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal
    >> with images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones
    >> I want and cut-paste.
    >>
    >> So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
    >> possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font
    >> Sample" tab in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify
    >> sample Text and Size, so that explorer can make a sample image to
    >> offer as a thumbnail for each font file.
    >
    > Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
    >
    > Malke

    Every time I see a request like this I sit here quietly smug thinking "Tiger
    has that!" FontBook shows a list of font categories in the left pane (script,
    serifs, sans-serifs, whimsical, handwritten, etc.) the fonts in each category
    in the middle and a resizable sample in the right third. It's beautifully
    simple and you can load and unload groups at will. I love it - I love the
    fact that I can categorise my faces according to job or type; I don't have to
    click on each one to view a preview. It's fantastic. To uninstall, you simply
    drag the font (or group) out of the book.

    It's too bad no one really cares what you think isn't it? Tick
    http://tinyurl.com/az88m
    "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
    IFC

    "Evadne Cake" <sarah.balfour@craigy34.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:29:47 +0100, Malke wrote
    > (in article <e8Mqr9CmFHA.2860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>):
    >
    >> Kingherc wrote:
    >>
    >>> Recently, I had to organise a large collections of fonts. I also had
    >>> to make a Favourites folder. But I found organising fonts really
    >>> difficult as Windows only offers a small program to view a sample. I
    >>> had to go through the fonts one by one, opening and closing a window
    >>> and cut and pasting. Which of course took me some hours.
    >>> This whole organising process would be far easier if I had to deal
    >>> with images for example. I'd switch to Thumbnail view, select the ones
    >>> I want and cut-paste.
    >>>
    >>> So, a suggestion: In future Windows versions, or in Longhorn, make it
    >>> possible to view Fonts like Images. It'd be nice to have a "Font
    >>> Sample" tab in Folder Options, offering the possibility to specify
    >>> sample Text and Size, so that explorer can make a sample image to
    >>> offer as a thumbnail for each font file.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
    >>
    >> Malke
    >>

    > Every time I see a request like this I sit here quietly smug thinking
    > "Tiger
    > has that!" FontBook shows a list of font categories in the left pane
    > (script,
    > serifs, sans-serifs, whimsical, handwritten, etc.) the fonts in each
    > category
    > in the middle and a resizable sample in the right third. It's beautifully
    > simple and you can load and unload groups at will. I love it - I love the
    > fact that I can categorise my faces according to job or type; I don't have
    > click on each one to view a preview. It's fantastic. To uninstall, you
    > simply
    > drag the font (or group) out of the book.

    Evadne
    ...and so the snake offers the Poor Chap an Apple!

    --
    Uncle John

    Malke wrote:

    > Rock wrote:
    >

    >>>Microsoft Wish Program - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
    >>>
    >>>Malke
    >>
    >>Malke, FYI that article isn't available at the moment. Been coming up
    >>that way for a few weeks now.
    >>

    > Thanks, Rock. I never would have known.
    >
    > Malke

    YW.