Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit, Getting Error

taylortolliver

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
So I just got done building this new computer. I know for a fact its all 64 bot compatible so thats not the issue.

Right now Im running windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, and trying to do a clean install of 64 bit as I have 8gb or RAM now. I am using the same hard drive as before though. Running the setup in Windows gives me an error letting me know that my setup disk is incompatible with my version of windows, thus I have to boot my computer from the setup disk.

When I do this it all goes well and does the "Windows is Loading Files..." tracking bar on a black screen as any clean install is supposed to. Then about halfway through this error pops up:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer. If you continue to recieve this message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured"

I have no idea why this is happening and how to fix it. This is the first time Ive upgraded a computer from 32 to 64, but Ive worked on my sisters computer but that was going from 64 Vista to 64 Windows 7 which is different. It doesnt affect my use of the computer at all as Im typing this on said computer, its just preventing me from installing 64 bit windows.

Thanks for any and all help

I never dealt with this but.............

the disc you are using......... legit windows disc ?......... and is it the same disc you used to install the 32bit ?......... think you may only be able to choose 32 or 64 on first install and that's it from there on out.........

however, the hardware problem......... reseat all hardware and recheck all connections on the hardware and on the motherboard.

you are doing a new install ?........... not trying to keep all the old data on the drive ? you told it to reformat the HD correct ?

vanquished

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
If it is the problem outlined by swifty you can get the windows 7 ISO files from this link: http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/ And make a new install disc to try it with. (a 64-bit disc)

No keys are included so you obviously need to use your own key/

taylortolliver

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
All my hardware is working fine.

I want to perform a clean installation yes, and I have not gotten far enough to tell it to format the entire drive. I backed up everything I wanted to already.

I have a key so I will try creating another disk