Ripping "Me" off

Is it possible, and if so, how, to rip Windows Me off my system restore
cd or system drive D?

I have a Presario 7000 series and after I took a bunch of stuff off, it
works just fine. I am very pleased with it and have had no problems in
a long time. Anyway, I recently bought a used laptop for fun, and since
I "supposedly" have a copy of Windows Me, I would like to be able to
install it on my laptop. I understand it is only supposed to be used on
the computer it was installed on, but...well...I would like to use it on
another computer.

I don't have the original Me program separately on a cd, but it is on
the restore CD. Is there a way I can copy the OS and burn it onto a new
CD by itself?

Thanks for any help!

Scott

hh

No. There is no way to do that illegal act. The restore CD only restores the
Presario for which it is designed.
HH

"Astronomer Smith" <astronomersmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible, and if so, how, to rip Windows Me off my system restore cd
> or system drive D?
>
> I have a Presario 7000 series and after I took a bunch of stuff off, it
> works just fine. I am very pleased with it and have had no problems in a
> long time. Anyway, I recently bought a used laptop for fun, and since I
> "supposedly" have a copy of Windows Me, I would like to be able to install
> it on my laptop. I understand it is only supposed to be used on the
> computer it was installed on, but...well...I would like to use it on
> another computer.
>
> I don't have the original Me program separately on a cd, but it is on the
> restore CD. Is there a way I can copy the OS and burn it onto a new CD by
> itself?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Scott

That is just wrong to me. It is like saying you have something, but not
really.
I sort of understand the license thing, that I have a "right" to use it
only on the computer it was installed on, but, up until fairly recently,
Compaq and other companies included the OS on a CD, and some of the
other programs too.
So, in reality, I don't own a copy of Me, I'm using Compaq's copy until
my computer dies? Originally, I was under the impression that all the
software was included in the purchase price I paid for the computer to
begin with. I know they sure did brag and advertise about the load of
software as an incentive to buy the computer. Apparently, that is just
a gimmick to hook under informed people like me (at that time).
Live and learn. I know now, that I would have been better off to build
a computer and buy my own software.
It doesn't matter, I'm not mad or trying to whine (well, maybe a
little), it just seems that if you own something you should own it, and
be able to do what you want to with it - not own it for a limited time
or just own a non-existant thing that truly vanishes when part of it
becomes unusable. If I wanted that, I would have rented or leased a
computer. Hmmm, now that I think about it, that is sort of what I did!
Oh, by the way, no response is necessary, I'm just blowing off a little
frustration.

HH wrote:

> No. There is no way to do that illegal act. The restore CD only restores the
> Presario for which it is designed.
> HH
>

> "Astronomer Smith" <astronomersmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Is it possible, and if so, how, to rip Windows Me off my system restore cd
>>or system drive D?
>>
>>I have a Presario 7000 series and after I took a bunch of stuff off, it
>>works just fine. I am very pleased with it and have had no problems in a
>>long time. Anyway, I recently bought a used laptop for fun, and since I
>>"supposedly" have a copy of Windows Me, I would like to be able to install
>>it on my laptop. I understand it is only supposed to be used on the
>>computer it was installed on, but...well...I would like to use it on
>>another computer.
>>
>>I don't have the original Me program separately on a cd, but it is on the
>>restore CD. Is there a way I can copy the OS and burn it onto a new CD by
>>itself?
>>
>>Thanks for any help!
>>
>>Scott

dannysdailys

No, it's not possible and I agree with you.

Your software is yours, not compaqs. You registered it, you paid for
it. And yes, you're not renting it.

I'd like to know why, when the computer dies, you can't sue for the
software. You should be able to because you own it.

In article <dvBQe.221761$uo4.143397@fe01.news.easynews.com>,
dannysdailys <dannysdailys@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> writes
>No, it's not possible and I agree with you.
>
>Your software is yours, not compaqs. You registered it, you paid for
>it. And yes, you're not renting it.
>
>I'd like to know why, when the computer dies, you can't sue for the
>software. You should be able to because you own it.

You own the media on which the software is recorded, you own the PC on
which it runs, you have a licence to use the software, you do not own
the software. The licence has conditions attached to it, which you will
have agreed to before you started using the software (did you read the
EULA, before you clicked on the 'I agree' box?). If the licence says
that the software may only be run on the hardware with which it was
supplied, that is the enforceable condition, at law.

Microsoft own the software and sell you a licence to use it. If you
want to own the software you will need to offer Microsoft many billions
of dollars, and then you can start selling the licences to use the
software.
--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

So it is just like I am just renting the software for a indeterminate
amount of time - that is, until the computer dies or otherwise becomes
unusable. Okay, I can accept that...I don't like it...but there is
nothing I can do, aside from buying an old version of Me or 98 from ebay
for $30-$50 or so.

I don't like this, but it is pretty much the same as owning
property...nobody "really owns" property, land or home. If you don't
pay your taxes on it, it will be taken from you. I guess microsoft
won't come and physically take it from you, although in my Compaq
situation, since I can't use it any more, it is about the same
difference. Oh well, nobody ever promised me life would be perfect! If
it were, we would all still be using CoCo's, C64's, and TI-99's. <grin>

Scott