Stereo wiring diagram sony MHC EC99i

Status
Not open for further replies.

asphodel

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hello,
I just bought a Sony book shelf stereo system which has electronic crossover. It has a set of +/- wires for hi frequency and a set of +/- wires for low frequency from the unit to each speaker (2 pair of wires to each speaker). I have speakers mounted on the walls of the garage where I will use this already that are full range speakers requiring only one set of wires. How can I hook up the new stereo unit to the old speakers? I know I can hook the speakers to either the hi or low output jacks on the back of the stereo but can I link the the hi/low out puts together and then hook up the old speakers or will I fry the stero? Thanks

G

I would avoid linking the high and low frequency outputs -- likely to result in smoke.

If your surmise is correct -- and if the garage wall speakers have low and high frequency drives, with a little re-wiring you could bypass the crossover in the garage speakers and wire direct to the drive units.

This isn't ideal because the electronic crossovers in the Sony will have been tweaked to optimise bass in the (doubtless small) speaker boxes supplied.

Or (worse) the Sony speakers may actually contain a power amp and the signal wires are just carrying a line level input.

Simple(?) solution is to use the Sony speakers and (if necessary) extend the wiring to reach.

asphodel

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I would avoid linking the high and low frequency outputs -- likely to result in smoke.

If your surmise is correct -- and if the garage wall speakers have low and high frequency drives, with a little re-wiring you could bypass the crossover in the garage speakers and wire direct to the drive units.

This isn't ideal because the electronic crossovers in the Sony will have been tweaked to optimise bass in the (doubtless small) speaker boxes supplied.

Or (worse) the Sony speakers may actually contain a power amp and the signal wires are just carrying a line level input.

Simple(?) solution is to use the Sony speakers and (if necessary) extend the wiring to reach.

fihart, I decided to just pack the unit back in the box, return it and bought a basic 200 watt, 2 channel receiver which works perfectly without having to worry about the possibility of "smoke".

Thanks for your reply

Status
Not open for further replies.